GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Volt owner. I bought a 2014 with 43,000 miles on it for $13,000.

I'm a professional Scouter (District Executive, Boy Scouts of America) and drive an average of 150 miles a day so I won't be on electricity as much as some but the Volt will still drop my fuel costs by 1/4 to 1/3.

A few questions:

Is it possible to use an adapter with the stock Voltec charger with an RV park hookup?

What is a good option for a rear hitch (I want to use a bike rack and occasionally a luggage hauler for camping gear).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are lucky and have the Clipper Creek version (back is secured by screws not fused) then it can be slightly modified to allow level 2 charging. Check for a thread on this by searching.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Chances are you do not have the compatible EVSE to adapt without cracking it open if you're not electronically inclined. (newer ones appear to work with an external plug adapter - no modification required)

However any L2 (240V) EVSE you purchase can have the appropriate plug for RV put on the end and ready to go with you.
In your situation i would put the same RV plug at my home and have the EVSE stay at home for daily charging. Then when you go out on a trip, simply unplug it and take it with you for use on the camp site. Leave the stock 120V unit in the trunk 24/7.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Aren't many RV parks outfitted with a 30A 110V plug? The reason I suspect this is that I had that plug wired up at my tool shed, and when I plugged my airstream into it, it fried my inverter/charger because the meathead electrician wired it up for 220. It also ruined a dewalt 18v battery charger in the process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was out of reach of a 110 plug today and decided to try an extension cord I found a red extension cord the label was a little bit scratched but what it seems to say is :

5A
125V
1075W (though hard to read)

I don't know what gauge the wire is but ... does this sound sufficient for the occasional "long range" charge?

It worked well.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The volt draws 8A at it's minimum setting so sounds like that cord would definitely not work if it truly is a 5A cord though the other figures seem to indicate it's in the 8A range, again borderline on the minimum draw for the Volt. If you absolutely need to use an extension for a 120V connection then perhaps a 12 gauge cord would be best in a pinch.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes.... RV plugs are 110 volt....No L2 charging !! And yes, you COULD make an adapter, but why? All the RV parks I Ever stayed at had standard 110 plugs as well as the 30/50 amps ....

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you're seeing the setup or similar on post #43 here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?135018-The-Volt-ebago-Car-camping-made-easy/page5 you can use the "normal" 110v at 8 amps. If you'd like to use the 12amp option you need a simple adapter to get from the middle outlet to the standard one for your portable charger. Something similar to this works fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192QB3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Of course you will need an appropriately heavy duty extension cord, not any old one you have kicking about the basement or garage. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVQL896/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#Ask a bit beefy but works fine.

As for hitches...well I've been pilloried for my set up but many here use a torklift version or a curt hitch. If you search the site for hitches you'll find some options.

·
Registered
524 Posts
RV parks I'm familiar with here in the Midwest have 14-50 (240v) as well as the older 120v outlets. The big RVs have 14-50s and the parks want their business.
As far as extension cords they almost always have the wire gauge molded in the wire. 12 gauge is good.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So I was out of reach of a 110 plug today and decided to try an extension cord I found a red extension cord the label was a little bit scratched but what it seems to say is :

5A
125V
1075W (though hard to read)

I don't know what gauge the wire is but ... does this sound sufficient for the occasional "long range" charge?

It worked well.
The numbers you posted don't add up.
I suspect a few hieroglyphics were lost to the sands of time:

15A
125V
1875W

1 - 11 of 11 Posts