GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just took possession of a 2017 Chevy Volt LT on Saturday, my husband will get his today we hope. We absolutely fell in love with the car, how it rides and all the technology included. I traded my 2013 Prius and although I was very happy with it, we thought it was a great time to try the EV since it's the way of the future. I'm actually very surprise most cars nowadays aren't EV's.

Is there any advice, tips, or suggestions anyone can offer a newbie to the EV world?

- Greg B.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
2017 Chevy Volt in Kinetic Blue (I've named her EVE)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Plug it in every chance you get. The Volt loves the plug.

Remember range is dependent upon the Three T's - Temperature, Terrain and Technique. As you drive and become familiar with the car and what happens to range under varying conditions you will grasp what I'm talking about and then you can go about find ways to mitigate the hit to your range. Hint some folks in cold weather states actually drive with little to no cabin heat. HVAC cab really chew into your available range.

And remember your AER (the number of miles shown by the battery ICON) is an estimate based on previous driving. That number can increase or decrease with little effort. Don't freak, it's normal.

And then just enjoy the Volt and drive it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Tom! Great advice... Living in Florida where is super hot (specially now in the summer) there isn't much I can do but to leave my temperature in auto at 76 degrees, I know it does suck alot of the power... I don't understand the Terrain part yet since all the roads here are flat flat flat... so it should be pretty simple. Now... Technique I can see myself obsessing over, it will be almost fun like a game for me.

I have been able to plug at work to a 120 and extension (super slow) but I'm here for 8 hours so it's not a biggie... I don't have a charger at home since my condo association hasn't even considered owners with EVs yet but I'm hoping that will come.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Where is your husband going to charge his Volt? At work?
Have you talked to the condo association about charging?
Driving 25 miles a day will use about $30 a month in electricity. Some associations have slapped much higher rates on EV charging. Hopefully your association is not one of the bad ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks AtomicPowered, he parks in a parking garage at work with some EV stations already in place. We haven't made a formal request to the association yet.

Welcome to the forum.
Where is your husband going to charge his Volt? At work?
Have you talked to the condo association about charging?
Driving 25 miles a day will use about $30 a month in electricity. Some associations have slapped much higher rates on EV charging. Hopefully your association is not one of the bad ones.

·
Registered
388 Posts
HELLO ...Lots of threads on maximizing EV miles the below is a good one IMHO. Temp is not as big a deal down here in FL as up North, but does make a diff. Even if not fully defined.
MPH while driving is a big factor(probally the biggest in FL), next to hard accelerations. Post 26 in the below thread shows a Dynometer test showing somewhere between 20-30MPH being the most efficient for EV miles. Not a recommemded speed on I95, especially by Ft lauderdale. There are other curves showing EV Miles vs speed driven on the road. The dynometer test probally does not consider wind friction. If someone compares the two graphs it may be seen that internal machine friction is also a bigger factor then assumed.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?246218-60-Plus-miles

Thank you Tom! Great advice... Living in Florida where is super hot (specially now in the summer) there isn't much I can do but to leave my temperature in auto at 76 degrees, I know it does suck alot of the power... I don't understand the Terrain part yet since all the roads here are flat flat flat... so it should be pretty simple. Now... Technique I can see myself obsessing over, it will be almost fun like a game for me.
e.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts