·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yes, it is compatible with all volts.
For the money, most recommend the clipper creek version which is $395, essentially the same price but 3 year warranty
And I have literally not read a review about a clipper creek unit dying--I have read many about these voltec units, lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've been using a Clipper Creek LCS-20 for about 1 year now, it has worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Almost two years now with the LCS20 and very happy with it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have had the Voltec L2 for almost two years and a LCS-25 for 18 months. Neither has ever failed. The Voltec was professionally installed and has a 3 year warranty. I find the coiled J cord to be very heavy. I only stretch it about 8 feet but the strain reliefs at either end are already cracked. Any more stretch and you are significantly increasing the side load on the ends of the cable and on the charge receptacle on the car. It does have a light on the J plug.
The Clipper Creek is showing some distortion where the cables enter the relay module but I can not predict when they will fail. Could be years.
Since the LCS-20 can be bought for much less I would get it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone know how much the Voltec unit puts out? If you think you may upgrade to a different EV in the future, it may be a better value to spend a little more on an EVSE that can handle faster charging. It won't make a difference on a Gen1 Volt, but other/newer cars could benefit. At the very least, you may want to go with a beefier circuit for your EVSE, so you can easily upgrade to a more powerful unit in the future without having to rewire the outlet.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Instructions for Voltec say "minimum #12 wire" use 20 amp fuse/breaker. Doubt it has anything over 3.3kW required for a Volt. I think it is the same for LCS-20. My LCS-25 says 4.8kW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts