GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week of owning a Volt I've almost gotten rear ended by 5 separate vehicles behind me not even driving in "L" abiding by the speed limits. I never had a problem when I was in my Tacoma. I've only seen a Gen2 once a couple days ago in my son's elementary school area when droppin/picking him from school. I feel like driving a Volt even when not in "L" has a bullseye target behind me. Luckily I have a dash cam that's been reliable. Has anyone feel the same or am I just being paranoid as a new Volt owner?

·
Registered
907 Posts
No, but gap distances have definitely reduced over the years as traffic increases, and there are fewer manual transmissions around (no one rolls backwards).

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have not noticed it. Maybe they just look closer since you have less of your own vehicle behind you in the Volt.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
During my first year, my volt was a target for all sorts of flying debris, people who run through red lights, and kamikaze deer (plus a stop sign and an island that appeared out of nowhere). So after a lifetime of never having an accident, I had 3 body shop visits and a new windshield i(more flying debris) to deal with. the good news is that years 2 and 3 have been uneventful (knock on wood).

I personally think the white diamond tricoat made me invisible. Or maybe the opposite, it was so shiny that the light glared loft the car and blinded them for s split second.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Earlier today while show a friend in my Volt I told him at the Kia behind us was too close at the stop light. I made sure I was in drive. After 1000 feet the 3rd in front of us made a sudden right turn. We all stopped in time but the lady in the Kia had to make a quick left into the yellow divided lane or risk hitting me. That's just one of five. Another was someone in a pick up truck intentionally hi-beaming from the back on a 50mph zone on my way home from work at 2am. From the time the truck was behind me 40mph zone I was traveling 45 and 55 in the 50mph zone. When I slowed down they refused to pass. I continue to travel the 2 miles route until I had to make my left turn. I feel like a target in my Volt particularly since I'm probably 1 of 2 here in Jonesboro Ga.

I have spotted many Priis and Leafs in my area but only 1 Gen2 Silver Volt. At least it shows that more people are going green/Eco friendly here. I've been spreading information about the Volt to many of my colleagues at work and friends. I'm surprised at how little is known about the Volt here. As an off topic note, I'm Asian from a family of Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai owners. Many of my family disapproves of my purchased of the Volt but from my perspective it was the right vehicle for me. I have my wife and two sons (4 & 7yrs). I wanted to reduce unnecessary cost and getting rid of my Double Cab Tacoma for a fuel efficience or zero emissions car that'll save me more money in the long run. An example was just tonight when picking up my wife from work, my wife asked if we could drop her cousin's babysitter ofd on our way home. I had to say yes regardless. One look at my Volt and the old lady asks why did my buy a Chevy? I wife tried to explain to her about the car but I shook my head to let it go and I answered "It's the future." I'm not saying that all old Asians are like that just the ones I know. At the end of the day it's my wife and I that takes care of our living expenses so making decisions to better the our future comes first. End rant. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol at that bumper sticker. I need one ASAP.

One reason I picked Viridian Joule as my color was that I am aiming for the ECO look. It's also a beautiful greyish-sky blue. Love the name of the color also, matches the color and theme completely. Shout out to David Thomas.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If people are tailgating that bad, you are doing something they don't like. Driving at or under the speed limit while 'normal' is some other speed is the worst.

- driving in the passing lane too slowly.
- driving slower than other traffic. Any lane.
- not leaving a passing path such as pacing other slow cars.
- leaving too much gap.
- standing out as a foreign driver. IOW not following local unwritten rules.
- driving unfriendly or unaware.
- driving something unusual. Such as a Volt/Prius in truck country.
- hypermiling or driving like a senior citizen.

Alter your route if someone is demonstrating road rage. Blend in with other drivers. If that means bending the law, do it.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If people are tailgating that bad, you are doing something they don't like. Driving at or under the speed limit while 'normal' is some other speed is the worst.

- leaving too much gap.

Alter your route if someone is demonstrating road rage. Blend in with other drivers. If that means bending the law, do it.
Or, you are in California

·
Registered
6,661 Posts

- leaving too much gap.

Or you live in Illinois. They make BUMP DRAFTING look sane.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
After a week of owning a Volt I've almost gotten rear ended by 5 separate vehicles behind me not even driving in "L" abiding by the speed limits. I never had a problem when I was in my Tacoma. I've only seen a Gen2 once a couple days ago in my son's elementary school area when droppin/picking him from school. I feel like driving a Volt even when not in "L" has a bullseye target behind me. Luckily I have a dash cam that's been reliable. Has anyone feel the same or am I just being paranoid as a new Volt owner?
No. Zero issues here.
Just like driving a manual trans vehicle and downshifting to slow down. Sounds like you have many drivers in your area who don't pay attention.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
There is nothing you can do to control the behavior of drivers behind you. Trying to is an endless source of frustration.

·
Registered
777 Posts

- leaving too much gap.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with most of this. It's like blaming a rape on the one who has been raped instead of the rapist. Tailgating is wrong, end of story.

To avoid being rear ended, drive defensively. Leave extra space in front of you so that you don't need to make any quick sudden stops.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is it possible your tail lights are not working? Otherwise, it is pathetic that people criticize Volt and other EV owners - but that has happened to me, including a chevy salesman who said "why do you want that piece of junk" when i was trying to lease my 2nd volt.

Good luck with yours, mine are the best cars i have ever owned, with 0 maintenance cost in 3 years in connection with both of them. (Dealer changed the oil for no charge)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything in working order, though it has 39% oil left. I'm happy with my Volt overall. Just completely filled her up with 93 octane and 100+miles zero emissions or gas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've only had a handful of people tailgate my Mustang and nobody cut me off. I have people tailgate and cut me off with disturbing frequency in my Volt. I haven't changed my driving habits so I figure it must be the appearance of the car.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't agree with most of this. It's like blaming a rape on the one who has been raped instead of the rapist. Tailgating is wrong, end of story.

To avoid being rear ended, drive defensively. Leave extra space in front of you so that you don't need to make any quick sudden stops.
Actual violence is not the discussion it's behavior. Your behavior can illicit a rage-type response.

If your behavior is more like the rest of the population (and driving 5mph below the speed limit is definitely NOT normal) then, the response from other drivers will be more measured. If you make an error, wave at the other driver apologetically, for example.

These situations can be escalated or de-escalated. Your choice not theirs. You DO have some control of how other people respond to your driving.

Pay attention and learn. If other drivers are passing you on both sides and honking and cutting you off, it's YOU not them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts