GM Volt Forum banner

New video: Electric Mitsubishi Imiev racing the gasoline powered Imiev

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Cybereye 
#1 ·
Mitsubishi Imiev video (in Japanese). Two Imievs are on a race track. One is gasoline powered and the other all electric. After the test track the Imiev is placed on a hydraulic lift and power train detail is shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USfrtnr9Jmw

#3 ·
Nice video. Did anyone notice how refined the motor looks? They really reduced the size of the thing. I have seen these cars and they do not look as small as the Smart car. They are small but don't have that silly tiny look. To me the Smart car has that clown-in-the-tiny-car feel. Anyway, I want one! If they threw in a limp-home genset I would be sold. Still might make a great second car.

#4 ·
When they put this thing on the market, do you think the EV1 freaks will finally shut the f*** up about who killed what?? Without a range extender, I don't think a whole lot of Americans are going to pony up the significant cash to buy one though. I saw this car at the New York Auto Show, and if it weren't for the EV element of it, it would be considered a joke in this country. I saw it on the day of Volt Nation and it was not parked in the Mitsubishi display yet as they were still setting things up. Curiously, it had a note attached to it for the event hall workers with a phone number to call if they were to have trouble starting or moving it!!?? I'll post a picture I took of it later.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting srschrier

Sure seems like a great car. I've been following it on the web and hear nothing but good things about it. If the car would provide a solid 40 mile mixed city/hwy range, think it was said to be something over 80 miles likely city driving, and long life battery/warranty I'd bite. It would be my primary car for commuting everyday. I'd keep an old good condition gas car for very rare occasions of distance travel. A lot of families have multiple cars, they just as well have one of them as an EV for daily commutes and leave the other cars gas eaters for distance or hauling.

Hmmm... guess the EV1 would have been a good match for my driving needs.

#7 ·
If the price is not too high I expect this car to be quite the hit. If gas is $4.00 a gallon when it launches you will need to be on a waiting list to buy one. This is good for us. If every family that had two cars had one BEV we would make a huge dent in our oil imports. Once companies start putting charging stations in for their employees just watch EVs take off. Having 160 miles round-trip range is nothing to laugh about.

#8 ·
The MiEV is close in dimension to most of European "city" cars

I myself owe two Opel cars, an Astra station-wagon and a Corsa ("city" car).

Since I bought the Corsa as a second car for my wife who got another job and needed more autonomy, it is me who is driving the Corsa and do not want to let my wife use it on a daily basis. She keeps the Astra. :)

So for myself as the dimensions of the MiEV are more or less the ones of the Corsa, I woudn't be too bothered to use it even for long trips if the EV range could one day in the future allow them.

#9 ·
I don't mind buying Electric Mitsubishi Imiev as well, but I don't know enough about smart cars. The video look great, but I'm wondering how big is the gas car engine is compare to american culture view of car engine. It may be great for Japan, but not so great for american. The quesion I have in my mind. I would rather own the battery and how long does the battery last before I had to get another battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.