GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!

I'm so excited about my purchase, as my commute at work is about ~64mi round trip. Was driving a Mazda Speed 3, but traded in.

A question I cannot seem to find an answer to. I have done a lot of research into this purchase and read a lot of articles and this forum before my purchase. Now that I own one, there is one/two things I can't seem to understand.

1. On the highway into work, I switch to MM. No charging seems to occur. I switch at just below 50% battery ~14mi and suddenly the battery will say ~1mi then it depletes (which is a lie as the center displays my battery still at ~50%). The vehicle goes into a hold state, runs the engine and does not reconvert power back to the battery. I have tested this a few times now and in the ~20 mi I'm on the high way I see no change in mileage. In fact when I switch back to normal as speeds reduce to 50 then 35, the battery appears to be more depleted then before I switch to MM.

2. When I switch to MM, I receive no indication of battery charge on the HUD or Center Console. Just in the lower left, "Mountain Mode" is active.

Am I missing something about the capacity to re-charge in MM while cruising on the highway?

Other than that my commute with a full charge from home (can't charge at work, yet). I'm averaging 76.9MPG.
I do love this car, I just want to verify something isn't wrong.

Thank You

·
8,680 Posts
What you're describing sounds like normal operation to me. Mountain mode isn't intended to charge the battery, its intended to give you a large enough buffer to storm up the sides of step mountains at freeway speeds.

To do that, GM decided they needed an extra 3.5 kWh in the battery for the worst cases. So Mountain mode runs exactly like Normal mode, except the battery target is raised from 22% absolute state of charge to a little over 40%.

If the car is above that when it is shifted, it'll drive electrically until it gets there, then bring the engine on to hold the state of charge.

If it's below that, the car will turn the engine on immediately and charge the battery to that point, then go back to holding the state of charge with the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for.
Essentially, the change in miles I'm seeing is the use on battery till it meets the minimum threshold.
Then the car goes into a hold mode, and would only supply charge if my battery fell beneath the threshold.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Need to see a video of it. If you are saying you switch the MM and have 14 miles left on the battery and then it suddenly loses that 14 miles to 0 miles, that is not normal.

However, if you switch to MM above 40% and your engine does not kick on and the battery continues to deplete down to say 10 miles that is normal. It depends on the percentage of charge the battery has. MM will not engage the engine above 40% charge.

You may want to review the manual on how MM works.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Can't be sure on a 2012 but on my 2013 there is a grey line on the battery in MM at 40% which MM won't charge above that. MM uses a lot of gas as it not only has to propel the car but charge the battery as well. That is not an effective way to charge the car (as opposed to doing it from a wall) fine if you are going up and down hills (hence the name mountain Mode) but not efficient on the level. If you can't charge at work the most effective way to drive is run out the battery then let it switch to CS which is efficient. Unfortunately you don't have a Hold mode (came in at 2013) where you could use battery for town driving and Hold mode for highway driving (there is an artificial way of getting it but I don't know how well it works). In the mean time put a bug in someone's ear at work about how having a plug in at work would make the company look green (for optics sake), even offer to pay for electricity used to dissuade the argument of employee dissatisfaction at some getting a "free fill". Or mention to city hall how a charging station (if you are in a commercial location) would make the government look like it was green and promoting clean air etc.

·
8,680 Posts
Need to see a video of it. If you are saying you switch the MM and have 14 miles left on the battery and then it suddenly loses that 14 miles to 0 miles, that is not normal.

However, if you switch to MM above 40% and your engine does not kick on and the battery continues to deplete down to say 10 miles that is normal. It depends on the percentage of charge the battery has. MM will not engage the engine above 40% charge.

You may want to review the manual on how MM works.
Actually, on a 2011 or 2012, the car will suddenly change the amount of battery range remaining on the display when switched in or out of Mountain mode, unless it entered Mountain mode after turning the engine on in Normal/Sport.

This is just accounting on the screen, and has no effect on the actual state of the battery or driving behavior.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There's an app out there called MyVoltHold (less than $5 if I remember right) that works with an OBD bluetooth reader (about $20) that will let you have a hold mode via the app rather than using mountain mode. The OBD reader is handy by itself with the Torque app, but if you have a 2011 or 2012, the MyVoltHold is a way to have a "hold mode"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts