GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
I have a UK spec RHD MY2014 Volt (which is quite rare in the UK). When I bought it, it came with an extra set of new rims and new bagged Acdelco TPMS sensors.

After having no problems with TPMS, I recently needed four new tyres. I got the new tyres fitted to the new rims with the new TPMS sensors.

The car has not detected the new sensors, and I just get the message about winter tyres, and the flashing/solid warning light.

There doesn't seem to be the relearn mode on the 2014 (holding down select on the tyre page does nothing). I've tried to use a EL-50448 but that didn't help.

I've seen suggestions that some TPMS sensors ship in a sleep state, and need waking. I've also read about cloning the ID of the working sensors. Does anyone have any MY2014 TPMS ideas?

Many thanks
Simon

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
Find a tire dealer with a tool like the Autel TS401 (or buy your own) that can read the battery strength of the sensors; just because they are "new in the bag" doesn't mean they haven't sat on a shelf for 7 years, but this is not the most probable issue. Most importantly, do you know the frequency of the sensors? If not, use the TS401 to determine the frequency; the 2017+ sensors are 433 mhz and can't be read by your Gen1 Volt (needs 315 mhz).

If you've been searching previous posts, you are probably aware of a potential interference problem with some power supplies for dashcams etc plugged into the Volt; just make sure you haven't added something that could be creating such interference.

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
The car has not detected the new sensors, and I just get the message about winter tyres, and the flashing/solid warning light.
The car's TPMS needs to be put in learning mode while a relearn tool is used at each tire valve location to synch the new TPMS with the car (the honk honks as each of the four TPMS valves are "learned" by the cat. The owner's manual has details. If that does not work, the TPMS may be the wrong frequency for the car.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
Re-reading the OP, I now see where you've been unable to put the car into relearn mode. It sounds as if you know about holding the Select button down for 5 seconds on the tire/tyre page and it isn't working. Perhaps that means the RHD model you have is different. The US version will not automatically relearn, and without putting it into relearn mode, the sensors cannot communicate with the car. Do you have the proper owners manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments. Regarding relearn mode, I think the 2014 does it differently. This from the 2014 user manual:
Auto learn function
Each tyre pressure monitoring
system sensor has a unique
identification code. The identification
code needs to be matched to a new
tyre/wheel position after rotating the
vehicle's tyres or replacing one or
more of the sensors.
After changing wheels the vehicle
must be stationary for approx.
20 minutes, before the system
recalculates. The following relearn
process takes up to 10 minutes of
driving with a minimum speed of
13 mph. In this case A can be
displayed or pressure values can
swap in the Driver Information Centre.
If problems occur during the relearn
process, a warning message will be
displayed in the DIC.
It looks like I need to go to a dealer and get them to do a diagnostic read of the installed sensors. Maybe they are the wrong frequency (kicking myself for not taking a photo of the new sensors before they were installed). The old working ones are 433MHz.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If I remember correctly, the TPMS uses the remote entry receiver to also read the TPMS wheel sensors as well as listen to the remote key fob to unlock the car, open the hatch, etc. unless the UK versions are setup differently. Does your key fob work with your Volt? Also while the TPMS sensors contain a battery which ages, the battery is totally disconnected from any current drain UNTIL it experiences its first pressurization inside a tire, when a small snap disk snaps from the pressure change and makes the connection to the internal battery inside the sensor. This is a one-time non-reversable action.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I am pretty sure the European version of the Volt/Ampera has a completely different TPMS system from the one in the US, so be aware that most of the information available through this forum may be more accurate for the US version. Your user manual quote above describes a completely different procedure than what we have in the US. The US version has a single receiver and manual relearning, while I think European rules require an auto learning system which means it would have 4 separate receivers.

Relearning should be basically automatic for you through normal driving. Since that is not working for you, I would assume the pressure sensors inside the tires are either not transmitting for some reason, or are transmitting on the wrong frequency (maybe because they are the wrong sensors for your version of the car). You are probably going to get the most help from a local tire expert or dealer familiar with your European TPMS systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts