GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I am new to this forum and am hankering big time for a Volt. I am researching like a law student and really think I will land on getting the new 2016 (17?) Volt this spring when it goes nationwide. But I struggle on buying new vs. used. The $7500 tax credit should work fully in my case, but I haven't had a car payment in over 25 years. I am kinda handy and usually work on most things I buy. The Volt is out of my expertise and probably time I buy a new car for the first time in my life. I am turning 50 this year and sounds like a good way to splurge a milestone.

I have the best 30 minute commute through the mountains of NC and the increased mileage of the gen2 should get me there and back without petrol. I might be able to sip a few amps at work but no EV parking as of yet. Very excited about that for sure.

This feels like a welcoming forum and will lean on you for experience, strength and hope.

One question I posted elsewhere is:
Will there ever be a sunroof or panoramic roof for the Volt? Any rumors with teeth out there? Also if it will never happen based on design or safety or such, I would love to know more please. I chatted with a marketing person at Chevy for the Volt, but they obviously have to play mum.

Thank You
Jernigan

8,616 Posts
I know of one Volt here on the forum that had an aftermarket sunroof installed. I'm mot really expecting to see GM do it - the headroom is already pretty marginal for us tall folks...

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Jernigan,

It's unlikely that there will be a sunroof option in a Volt for 2017, but you never know. There would need to be compromises in aerodynamics, weight, and headroom. I asked a GM engineer specifically about it in 2013 at an EV car show and she was careful about how she put it as she emphasized that it would have a negative impact on factors affecting range. A lot has changed in two years though, so maybe we'll see a panoramic option in the Bolt (like the concept). I also think it's safe to assume that Cadillac's upcoming plug-in CT6 will include a sunroof option.

If it's important to you, there's always aftermarket.

About working on your own car: you still get to do that with your Volt, if you're looking to get some hands-on. It will need tire rotations every 7500 miles which also requires updating the TPMS. You can also change your oil every two years or so (whenever you get enough miles on the combustion engine), and sometimes you get to top off the wiper fluid and gas tank.

As far as the rest goes---- there's not much to do. The Volt is very low maintenance.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
As far as working on your car goes, there are also a few mods and improvements that have been done by many owners.
For example, you may want to add your own garage door opener, since the new Volts no longer have that built in. Some of us have converted the headlights to HID ones, which is frowned on by a few, but felt necessary by some. There is also a mod which allows the DRLs to stay on at night, which gives better visibility of street signs and pedestrians, without blinding anyone. A few have even put in a defeat or mod to change the ERDTT mode (engine running due to temperature). The rear reflectors on the older Volts seem to beg for adding LEDs to them. And there are also various replacement of lights with LED ones both inside and outside the car. Also, there are several add ons such as the Voltshelf, custom made and sold by one of our members.

You can search on this forum for most of these. as you get interested in them. I know you will be so amazed by the the Volt, you may not feel much need for additions at first, but there are always little tiny shortcomings or omissions on any car, so we con't cosider it a mortal sin to desire fixing them.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Given the shape of the roof lines on the 2016, presumably for aerodynamics, I suspect an aftermarket sunroof would be 'complicated'.

Funny thing is that I own four vehicles with sunroofs, plus a convertible. I only very rarely open the sunroofs. (The 'vert, of course, goes topless whenever it can. :) )

· Registered
3,913 Posts
I am turning 50 this year and sounds like a good way to splurge a milestone.
When I turn 50 I'm going to rent a female half my age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.