GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2012 Red Crystal Tintcoat Volt. It is a lease return with 11,800 miles on it and it's in-service date is Sept 2012. The car has a life time mpg of 256...so who ever drove it initially really made use of the EV mode....however...

Things seem to be find when I'm driving the car in EV mode....but after the ICE runs for a bit, I get a hint of an oily/metallic hot smell which seems to come from the front of the car and through the air vents. I can't see any signs of leaking but it would appear a recent oil change was done at 11,000 miles and there is some spillage around the oil filler area. Also searching the forums seem to note that there is a burn off of engine and exhaust coatings which seem to take longer since the ICE is used infrequently.

The selling dealer says everything checks out but I was wondering if others experienced this, especially on car that is over 2 years old.

Mark

·
Registered
249 Posts
When my ice doesnt run for a few weeks it smells the first few minutes of driving. Just seems to be running rich for a little while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Carfax, this car hasn't been driven on a regular basis since September.....I'll put some miles on it and run it back to the dealer if it gets worse....other than that, it's an awesome car and it's sitting in my garage on the charger.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
According to Carfax, this car hasn't been driven on a regular basis since September.....I'll put some miles on it and run it back to the dealer if it gets worse....other than that, it's an awesome car and it's sitting in my garage on the charger.
You could run it in mountain mode for a day and see if the smell clears up. I hit the Dino fuel daily as my commute is longer than the EV range, especially in the cold. So I can't help you with the smell.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Just purchased a 2012 Red Crystal Tintcoat Volt. It is a lease return with 11,800 miles on it and it's in-service date is Sept 2012. The car has a life time mpg of 256...so who ever drove it initially really made use of the EV mode....however...

Things seem to be find when I'm driving the car in EV mode....but after the ICE runs for a bit, I get a hint of an oily/metallic hot smell which seems to come from the front of the car and through the air vents. I can't see any signs of leaking but it would appear a recent oil change was done at 11,000 miles and there is some spillage around the oil filler area. Also searching the forums seem to note that there is a burn off of engine and exhaust coatings which seem to take longer since the ICE is used infrequently.

The selling dealer says everything checks out but I was wondering if others experienced this, especially on car that is over 2 years old.

Mark
Ask them if they changed the oil before posting it for sale. A lot of dealerships do. Perhaps they used Dexos oil, perhaps not. Can they prove what they used? The last oil change I got, from a Chevy shop using a Volt-certified young tech guy - spilled oil on the front of the engine below the fill-hole. It did smell for me and I cleaned out what I could. Next time through, I will check before I leave. I have to wonder if such oil were to catch fire for any reason, if they would offer any kind of reimbursement for the damage.

Check your oil life remaining number on the config menu knob left of the steering wheel. If it is 100% then I have to guess they spilled oil on the engine.

Side-note about repairs. I had a wiring component and gas tank pressure pump replaced. To reset the computer, apparently they had to drive it 45 miles and use 1.5 gallons of gas in doing so. It's one more reason to want to consider avoiding dealerships as much as possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2012 with 50K miles / ~43K electric.

My car has an odor whenever the engine hasn't run in awhile. If I've driven 300-500 miles without heating up the engine and exhaust, it takes about 1 gallon of ICE driving to burn off the grime and have the smell go away.

I worried at first that this was a defect and asked the dealer to look into it -- they found nothing amiss, nor did I when the car was up on the jack. And the smell simply goes away on road trips when the road grit has time to burn off in ICE mode.

My guess is that you're seeing the same phenomenon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The smell is common and has been reported before. The car comes without a cabin air filter. You can add one yourself.
What filter to buy and how to install it are buried somewhere in gm-volt.com. You should be able to find it with a little searching effort.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Same here. It's normal when you drive for many days and weeks, lots of road dirt and debris collect to the exhaust system and have to all burn off at once. In an ice only car they get burned off continuously so they don't build up to anything substantial enough to smell.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The smell is common and has been reported before. The car comes without a cabin air filter. You can add one yourself.
What filter to buy and how to install it are buried somewhere in gm-volt.com. You should be able to find it with a little searching effort.
I use the TYC 800149C Buick Lacrosse replacement cabin air filter from Amazon. It costs $12.36 as of today. There is a youtube video to show how it's put in.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Same here. It's normal when you drive for many days and weeks, lots of road dirt and debris collect to the exhaust system and have to all burn off at once. In an ice only car they get burned off continuously so they don't build up to anything substantial enough to smell.
The theory that this only happens when you don't use the ice for a long time isn't true. I use ice daily, and just yesterday I stopped at the post office, left the car running (for a silly reason, didn't want to have to resync the phone to bluetooth upon restart) erdtt kicked in while parked, and smelled the smell in the cabin upon return.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. You will love it. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since it's been a few weeks since I've posted, I thought I would share an update. So far the car has been running well and the smell is not as bad. I can catch a slight whiff of it when the ICE runs but not as noticeable.

So far, I've been driving in electric mode. I live in MN and it's been colder than average so the ICE does turn on periodically during my commute. My battery range with below freezing temps has been 25 to 30 miles. I really enjoy driving this car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts