GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Congratulations on your home purchase. Even with all the known faults like the EGR valve and BECM issues, I would still recommend a 2nd gen Volt. I would also encourage you to install a LEVEL 2 EVSE to your new home. The Volt can do just fine without a quick charging system but having a quicker charger makes the ownership experience that much better. I can make 2 substantial trips during daytime. 12 hours charging on 110v is an awful long time to wait.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I had an electrician friend of mine run a 220V to the outside of my house where I park. Then I had him install a weather proof outlet box with a NEMA 6-20p outlet. I mounted a portable waterproof LEVEL 2 EVSE "charger" inside the box for security and additional weather protection.

I have 2 reasons for this.
1. I don't need anything more powerful for the Volt. In the future, I would need heavier gauge wiring and a new breaker. But everything was already set up for it so upgrading is relatively easy.
2. Serviceability. If there's any problem with the EVSE, I can easily unplug it and install a new one. So far it's been working well.

(to the right is a 110V 30amp RV outlet)
Wall Material property Gas Electricity Electrical wiring
Fixture Grey Rectangle Material property Gas
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts