GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
When I covered in my car port to turn it into a garage my brother-in-law asked if I was going to put in a subpanel. Oh no, I said, I'll just bring down a line for a heater and a bench outlet. A few years later I got a 240V air compressor but couldn't use it. When I started renovating the house and tore up the carpet where the panel was, I learned my lesson and ran a 60 amp line down to the garage for a subpanel. Had my 240V for the compressor and another for the wall oven to cure ceramic paints plus some extra dedicated lines for freezer and for electric fireplace down. Years later when I got my Volt It came with a 240V EVSE and I just use my air compressor line. As I did the work myself, my out of pocket costs was $139 for permit and two inspections over and above the hardware. At the time I was fortunate to have two inspectors at the local Provincial Services Building to consult with as not everything I wanted to do was covered by the (older) code book. It comes in handy as a tri[p into town only takes about 2.5 hours to charge. I usually leave it unconnected as temps in this part of Canada are moderate. Winter I may leave it plugged in at a few degrees above freezing just so it's ready for preconditioning.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts