GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've spent the past month attempting to find available vehicles to analyze and have come to Volt in my process.
Here's my baseline.
I just purchased my retirement heaven, a 3Br 2Ba cabin on a mountain in the Shenandoah near Front Royal, Virginia. My first effort will be off grid solar so my local driving will be amortized in the mix! But I am still working and my client base is 75 miles away on average so a five day work week racks up some miles. From my analysis and budget, there are no EV's that can accomodate my needs other than a few but while the commute is 150 - 200 trips for materials etc. can add to it, so without a plug in during work hours, I'd be slowed even more and never be home enough.
In most cases a 120 connection will be no problem and help defray gas cost. I will chart my miles and results and share them as we go. Looking forward to sinking into the cockpit of this new young relic and enjoying the ride!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
912 Posts
Congratulations on your home purchase. Even with all the known faults like the EGR valve and BECM issues, I would still recommend a 2nd gen Volt. I would also encourage you to install a LEVEL 2 EVSE to your new home. The Volt can do just fine without a quick charging system but having a quicker charger makes the ownership experience that much better. I can make 2 substantial trips during daytime. 12 hours charging on 110v is an awful long time to wait.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome!!!

I second getting a Level 2 charger if you can. I've got one I can plug into my dryer outlet. It's not as convenient as having a dedicated charger but it works. Having a level 2 allows you to charge at a rate of roughly 10 miles of range per hour. It's enough so that on busy days when I'm driving around town a lot I can get enough of a charge between trips to keep from using the gasoline engine.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had an electrician friend of mine run a 220V to the outside of my house where I park. Then I had him install a weather proof outlet box with a NEMA 6-20p outlet. I mounted a portable waterproof LEVEL 2 EVSE "charger" inside the box for security and additional weather protection.

I have 2 reasons for this.
1. I don't need anything more powerful for the Volt. In the future, I would need heavier gauge wiring and a new breaker. But everything was already set up for it so upgrading is relatively easy.
2. Serviceability. If there's any problem with the EVSE, I can easily unplug it and install a new one. So far it's been working well.

(to the right is a 110V 30amp RV outlet)
Wall Material property Gas Electricity Electrical wiring
Fixture Grey Rectangle Material property Gas
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
22,233 Posts
If you are going to have an electrician run a new circuit/line for 240V charging have it sized for say a 40A charging capability (or more). The extra cost in materials (heavier gauge wire) is minimal compared to the labor plus more labor and material in the future. My $0.02

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
When I covered in my car port to turn it into a garage my brother-in-law asked if I was going to put in a subpanel. Oh no, I said, I'll just bring down a line for a heater and a bench outlet. A few years later I got a 240V air compressor but couldn't use it. When I started renovating the house and tore up the carpet where the panel was, I learned my lesson and ran a 60 amp line down to the garage for a subpanel. Had my 240V for the compressor and another for the wall oven to cure ceramic paints plus some extra dedicated lines for freezer and for electric fireplace down. Years later when I got my Volt It came with a 240V EVSE and I just use my air compressor line. As I did the work myself, my out of pocket costs was $139 for permit and two inspections over and above the hardware. At the time I was fortunate to have two inspectors at the local Provincial Services Building to consult with as not everything I wanted to do was covered by the (older) code book. It comes in handy as a tri[p into town only takes about 2.5 hours to charge. I usually leave it unconnected as temps in this part of Canada are moderate. Winter I may leave it plugged in at a few degrees above freezing just so it's ready for preconditioning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did all my electrical install myself 240V 15AMP double pole breaker and all exterior weatherproof box and conduit, took me about 35 min start to finish the wifes volt charges way faster than the first couple days plugged in to our 110, My panel was already 200AMP service

1 - 8 of 8 Posts