GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New tires cause "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" (little engine symbol) to come on

My 2014 Volt's original Bridgestones (40,000 mi) hit a pothole and caused a hole in the sidewall, so had to get new tires. Les Schwab was the closest tire store to be towed to. They said they had no low resistent tires so got the Toyo Ultra Z-900 all season. The next day as I was leaving home the eng symbol came on. I looked it up in the manual : "Modifications made to the engine, electric drive unit, exhaust, intake, or fuel system of the vehicle or the replacement of the original tires with other than those of the same Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) can affect the vehicle emission controls and can cause this light to come on." Anybody else have this happen? Plan on calling the Chevy dealer Monday.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just a guess but I'd say the light is more related to hitting the pothole than the new tires. You need to get the codes and go from there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The tire type shouldn't make a difference, however the tire size would. Are the new tires the exact same size as the originals? Or did the tire shop give you a different size that was compatible for the rims?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Check the tire size on the replacment. If it's not the same size, specifically the outer diameter (you can check at TireRack.com for the number of revolutions per mile). If it's significantly different from the other three tires you could be seeing a CEL due to the vehicle stability control system not receiving consistent input from the four wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I called OnStar and they gave me two codes. Both having to do with the high voltage system. Apparently hitting the pothole (or something else, it was at night in a roundabout) did something to the system. They said the code says to get it serviced within 7 days. I just made an appointment with the Chevy dealer for next week. Will update when I know more.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
we too would like the code !!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Interesting, I would have guessed the new tire has slightly different dimensions than the OEM tires, but the codes seem to indicate otherwise.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
797 Posts
A different height tire will not light the check engine MIL light. It will turn on the tire symbol and disable the traction control, etc.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Something tells me the codes will be P1E00, P0AA6 and P1FFF. Hitting the pothole triggered the low coolant sensor in the battery coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
A too large delta PSI from righ side to left side ( same axle) will also give a light.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Since your initial description of the code indicated tire issues, and you have new tires, also check that all 4 tires are matched as to size. If they put one odd tire on, that could cause issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Took the car to the dealer and later that afternoon they called and said there was nothing wrong. The only thing they found was that the software needed updating, and they cleared the check engine light. The codes OnStar gave me in the beginning of all this was P1EDD and P0CCF. The other thing I didn't mention in the original post (but told dealer rep) was that the fully charged battery mileage went from 35 to 30 overnight. (I just assumed the dealers Voltech guy would solve that when he cleared the error codes.) The dealer service manager kept trying to blame it on the cold weather. I live in western Washington state, it is not that cold here and temperature doesn't explain how it can drop by 5 miles AND this happens right after the check eng light comes on and OnStar says the error codes have something to do with the high voltage charging system. He just didn't get it. I have had this Volt for 4 years and I have never had the fully charged battery mileage go below 35 miles ever! I went out to the garage this morning and it said 29 miles on fully charged battery. Temperature is in the low 40's today. I am open to ideas. I am thinking of contacting Chevrolet or going to a different Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
After 4 years I would suspect the 12V AGM battery is failing. This can cause all kinds of strangeness. Have the dealer or an auto parts store test the battery. If the standing battery voltage is less than 12.0V it should definitely be replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After 4 years I would suspect the 12V AGM battery is failing. This can cause all kinds of strangeness. Have the dealer or an auto parts store test the battery. If the standing battery voltage is less than 12.0V it should definitely be replaced.
I will have the 12 volt battery checked. But to have the mileage go from 35 to 30 overnite after check eng light comes on is quite a big coincidence. And the outside temperatures have been in the 40-50F range for the past couple weeks. Another thing I just thought of that might factor in is two times in the last two weeks (and before I hit the pothole) the winds have knocked out the power to the neighborhood for 6-9 hours. When the power went out the car starts honking and I unplug it. But then I have had this happen a few other times in the past 4 years and haven't had an issue like this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
"Loss of range could indicate a problem or just the need for the Volt to re-calibrate. Before you get the dealer involved try fully charging the battery, running the battery down to zero bars (there is still perhaps 15% SOC remaining even when the Volt shows zero bars of charge remaining.) Then fully charge the Volt. After several cycles the Volt should display a more accurate estimate of your EV range."
jcanoe you posted the above on another post about a sudden drop in fully charged battery mileage and will do this as well as check the 12 volt battery. Also, what do you do to have "standing battery voltage" for testing? Thanks

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
"Loss of range could indicate a problem or just the need for the Volt to re-calibrate. Before you get the dealer involved try fully charging the battery, running the battery down to zero bars (there is still perhaps 15% SOC remaining even when the Volt shows zero bars of charge remaining.) Then fully charge the Volt. After several cycles the Volt should display a more accurate estimate of your EV range."
jcanoe you posted the above on another post about a sudden drop in fully charged battery mileage and will do this as well as check the 12 volt battery. Also, what do you do to have "standing battery voltage" for testing? Thanks
To test the standing voltage of the 12V battery you would need a DC voltmeter. This does not test the battery under a suitable load, only a load tester can do that.

When connected to the Volt, when the Volt is powered on the accessory power module is providing 12V - 15V DC power to run the Volt's 12V systems and charge the 12V battery. After you turn off the Volt, the lights and accessories continue to be powered by just the 12V battery for up to 10 minutes. You could test the voltage of the battery during that time using an inexpensive USB adapter with built in DC voltmeter. This would be plugged into the accessory port. Once you open the driver's door the power to the lights and infotainment system and screen are turned off. Still this would give you some idea of the health of the 12V battery. Fully charged, the 12V AGM should read ~12.6V, 12.3V is about 50% state of charge. Anything less than 12.0V is a concern. If the voltage reading is less than 12.0V the battery is either failed or not being properly charged by the APM system when the Volt is powered on. The Volt will also charge the 12V battery when the Volt is plugged in. If you let the Volt sit, unplugged, if you connect a voltmeter to the 12V battery jump start terminals located under the hood or at the battery in the rear compartment, you would expect a fully charged 12V AGM battery to read 12.6V. Once the Volt is powered on the APM is providing power so you need to check the voltage with the car powered off. At 4 years of age, it is not unexpected that a 12V AGM battery could be failing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it's worth, I just had my tires replaced with the Ultra Z900's on Monday, and so far no problem lights or issues.

Kathy

·
Registered
197 Posts
Interesting. In 2016 I also had the OEM tires replace by Les Schwab. They recommended the Z900 tires, but I noticed an immediate drop in range; something like 6 or 7 miles as I recall. This was in June, in Idaho, so temperature was not a factor. I went back to Schwab after a few days and told them I couldn't live with the decrease in range so they then recommended the Versado ECO tire. Of course it was more money but I went ahead and had them switch the tires. The range was better but still it wasn't quite as good as the OEM tires. My suggestion - stick with the OEM's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts