GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read some of the posts and I had 3 thoughts of how to help recharge some of the battery power while driving.

1. Shock absorbers that were actually a magnet in the cylinder with a coil of wire around the cylinder. As the car travels, the weight of the car and the road conditions would create a small magnetic charge. How much of a charge I am not sure, since I am not an engineer.

2. A turbo on the exhaust pipe of the gasoline engine. This would be connectecd to a power generator where the exhaust gases would spin the tubo and turn the generator to recharge the battery.

3. A ball magnet or a group of ball magnets placed in a stationary ball of wire. The electric current would be created when the car is accelerated and the ball magnet(magnets) would move backwards due to the acceleration. Conversely it would move forward when the brakes where applied, right when the car was turned left and right when the car was turned left. Although the weight may require more power exherted than can be produced but like I said I am not an engineer.

number 4 is listed below in the posts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hmmm...

I have read some of the posts and I had 3 thoughts of how to help recharge some of the battery power while driving.

1. Shock absorbers that were actually a magnet in the cylinder with a coil of wire around the cylinder. As the car travels, the weight of the car and the road conditions would create a small magnetic charge. How much of a charge I am not sure, since I am not an engineer.

2. A turbo on the exhaust pipe of the gasoline engine. This would be connectecd to a power generator where the exhaust gases would spin the tubo and turn the generator to recharge the battery.

3. A ball magnet or a group of ball magnets placed in a stationary ball of wire. The electric current would be created when the car is accelerated and the ball magnet(magnets) would move backwards due to the acceleration. Conversely it would move forward when the brakes where applied, right when the car was turned left and right when the car was turned left. Although the weight may require more power exherted than can be produced but like I said I am not an engineer.
1) this might work since shock absorbers basically dissipate heat. I don't think you get much out of it, in terms of electricity, but it may have some additional benefits in terms of a higher "performance" shock absorber.

2) For every Joule you get out of the turbine I bet you lose more than one in the energy extractable from the engine. You might be able to improve the overall efficiency by increasing back pressure, but that is a question for some one with a lot more engine experience than I. I did hear once of a car company attaching a small steam turbine to the engine to capture lost heat, which I believe does have a net gain in energy captured...maybe it was BMW.

3) no...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Already patented. Somebody beat you to it.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/70175716.html

Probably not a lot of power. You don't here about it much yet the patent was filed over two years ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Match all that apply:
A) Conservation of energy
B)The laws of thermal dynamics
C)No free lunch
D)Cost benefit analysis
E)The law of diminishing returns.
F)KISS method.

Actually the idea if the turbo charger spinning a generator has always interested me, but if you inject a small amount of water into the superheated exhaust you get a rapid expansion like a turbo jet. This could help to recapture some of the nearly 70% of the energy lost in a standard ICE as heat, the BTU's would be converted to motion. Now you need to reengineer the exhaust with a heat exchanger, but still allow the CAT to get hot enough to do it's job.. BMW has worked on a similar system in the labs, a sort of AC compressor acting as a steam engine powering the main belt to the crank neted 20-30%. An ICE is nothing more then an air compressor in reverse, most the energy goes out the tail pipe.
In the end it all costs money, just don't want to spend thousands to save hundreds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thought that just popped into my head. I am not sure if this would be more efficient way to charge a battery or not. A generator is connected to the drive belt of the engine, friction and rotation are lost from the cam shafts, crank shafts, and pulleys. Would it be more efficient if the engine was used as a generator? If a magneticly charged piston was used or a core magnetic piston was created, would that produce electricity. If the block was not suitable, the cylinder could be bored and a sleave could be placed inside the cylinder which would be wrapped in a coil of wire. (Yes they already have sleaves to insert in cylinders, used for cracked blocks on old V8's. )

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting concept, but why would it be any different then spinning a shaft on a conventional 3 phase generator. You would be using a lot of mass to induce a current from the pistons moving through their stokes, which would affect the efficiency of the ICE. Also how are you planning on eliminating the Valve Train Componets (cam, rockerarms, etc...) not making much sence to me.

A) Conservation of energy
Anytime you pass a magnet past a coil there is resistance, it take energy to generate energy. If the mass of the pistons increase you loss, since you need to stop the piston and move it back down again..that bleeds energy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The increase in resistance due to more mass in the piston was why I am not sure if it would be more efficient, plus the added mass of wire in a new location. Would a neo magnet have the strangth to handle the combustion process, and would that material be lighter or more heavy than a standard aluminum piston? However it is something that seamed interesting. The valve springs etc would remain in place since they are located in the Head, not the cylinder itself.

How much energy is lost due to friction in the current system vs the weight or new components in this type of system? Plus factor in the costs of manufacturing a new system. Would it be more efficeint? I have no idea, but seamed interesting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You need to explain why you feel it is a better method of exicting the electrons through a magentic field by incorperating them into an ICE. Anything is possible but there needs to be a reason for it. Spining a balanced armatur in a magnetic field is simple and well proven. Very little added friction as the newer ones are brushless. Your already spinning a shaft, just couple it to the generator. Current Electric motors are 99% effiecent.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If you take a motor that is 99% efficient, and couple it to a generator that is 99% efficient, and you run the motor from a battery that you charge with the generator, you will still waste more power than if you just ran the motor from the battery.

If you took a 100% efficient motor and coupled it to a 100% efficient generator, you might not waste any energy, but you couldn't pull any "extra" energy out of the system, either.

Give it up. There is no way to win this game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts