GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aftermarket Subwoofer installed keeping stock amp setup

Hi guys I'm new to the site but read countless threads here about updating the stereo system but with not a lot of luck it would seem. Today i took apart the rear and hooked up my all in one system i had for a few yrs and it worked flawlessly. I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch overload system i bought a few yrs ago for my cobalt SS. Being I didn't want to change the factory deck and stuff i went with this system and installed it in the cobalt. I wasn't craving loud (my Pontiac g8 has my custom built system)but an upgrade. Ive got pics of some of the install but it works and sounds good for going with the safe route and not ripping up the entire audio stock system.
Rockford Fosgate Punch Overload PS300-12 --My sub/amp combo

I used High Level Inputs.

I hooked into factory Bose sub woofer by this connection. I need to go to the store for more parts to hook up everything better so sorry for the crude look.

This is the top left of Bose Subwoofer/amp

Finished. . . . I still gotta hide cords and get better connection terminals to be truly finished with this project.

There is a ground wire being used with the cooling system that i hooked the new sub into easily and Positive well the battery is right there so that was simple. My system does not require a remote wire to turn off or on. My system uses the High pass filter as an off and on so it automatically shuts down when no signal is being sent.( I tested this cause i don't want a dead battery) Also since I'm new I'll tell you I have the GE watt station installed by me and I love charging the volt quick now.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Thanks for posting the details and pics! I'm sure this will be useful for others interested in doing the same.

You don't mind the subwoofer taking up that much of the cargo area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the room that it takes up is ok but i need to turn it 90 degrees to fit better. But the cool thing is if i ever need more room for luggage or stuff i just need to pop off too connections which would take 15 seconds then remove the all in one system. Sure i wouldn't have the bass that day but it gives me options.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hopefully once i get back from vacation next week i can order an additional delphi plug so i can get my setup clean looking. Then i can get it looking as clean as yours. I hate running wires all over stuff and not getting them all zip tied down. But with our car as a hatch back, man does the thump sound good. I also got my bass volume knob installed so i can turn it up or down when needed. But way better upgrade than stock sub for sure.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Do you use straps with the D rings to keeping it from flying around?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sub itself is held down by velcro actually. There is four spots with peel and stick velcro attached to the sub (i only use the hook side of the velcro). I used this technique before and it worked great. This thing sticks to the carpet well with no movement even if i take a corner fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts