GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They claim this reflash will improve real world economy number for Ford Hybrid owners.

"The cars will automatically stay in electric-only mode to 85 MPH, up from 62 MPH currently
Active grille shutters will now close in cold weather or when the A/C is running to warm or cool the interior quicker, this will allow electric mode to kick in sooner.
Fan speed will be reduced. Less electric load means better fuel economy.
The cars will now reach operating temperature in half the time, allowing the stop-start feature to work sooner."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...r-better-real-world-fuel-economy/#more-495538

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting. It will be interesting to see the results.

·
Registered
390 Posts
What compromises are they making with these improvements? In other words, why didn't the cars have these settings before?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
As an owner of a CMax and first time new Ford owner I have two thoughts about this news:

1) I meet or exceed EPA town mileage but fall way short on highway (interstate) so I look forward to the "tweaks".
2) Unlike GM, Ford is pro-active with software updates with some even adding minor features. They are no where near Tesla levels but are very welcomed.

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
327 Posts
2) Unlike GM, Ford is pro-active with software updates with some even adding minor features. They are no where near Tesla levels but are very welcomed.
I have a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid. I have been happy with the vehicle, but I would disagree with saying Ford is pro-active with updates. I haven't had any updates offered. They did have a process to update the entertainment SYNC system by downloading the update to a USB flash drive, but it never worked well. They had no system to notify me of updates, I had to go to their special SYNC website and check for them. It wasn't easy to figure out if you had the current updates or not. Then, after a year or so, they stopped posting any new updates, I suppose they had simply moved on to the newer system. The updates were supposed to include support for newer phones, so I would have expected updates to continue for that reason alone.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
If Ford continues to improve their hybrids so they run more in electric mode (as a Volt), then a battery increase in size is next. It will be a real competition to the Chevy Volt, and the second best plug-in American car. No imports will ever be needed!

Ford, add the same feature to the Explorer and the Edge!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I wouldn't really say this is proactive, they are getting sued left and right on this issue...

·
Registered
235 Posts
If Ford continues to improve their hybrids so they run more in electric mode (as a Volt), then a battery increase in size is next. It will be a real competition to the Chevy Volt, and the second best plug-in American car. No imports will ever be needed!

Ford, add the same feature to the Explorer and the Edge!
has nothing to do with fords energi versions (plug in erev). this is just for the non plugged hybrids. I guess ford fibbed a little on the epa mpg numbers and didn't want to get their pants sued off like Hyundai with their hybrid mpg lies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
has nothing to do with fords energi versions (plug in erev). this is just for the non plugged hybrids. I guess ford fibbed a little on the epa mpg numbers and didn't want to get their pants sued off like Hyundai with their hybrid mpg lies.
Maybe Ford Fibbed on the EPA tests,but IMHO the EPA tests are in their Hybrids sweet spot. The average speed of the EPA tests are 22mph (city) and 48 mph (highway). That's where Ford's Hybrid drive is most effective (under 62 mph). Real world is much different. With 80+ mph max for the electric motor to power the vehicle, it should show a huge improvement in MPG on the highway.

It was also a possibility that Ford is babying the LI-ion battery pack because this is the first model year that they are using it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.