1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
Commercialized in 2020? Just in time for the next wave of Toyota hydrogen fueled electric cars...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Its not new and Toyota didn't invent the technology, I designed products in 2003 using Silicon Carbide semiconductors from IR

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Seems like a lot of confusion in the reporting. From what I can gather, Toyota is reducing the losses in the power electronics by 90%. The 90% would, however, be a relative not an absolute reduction. For example, if the power electronics lost 1% of the battery power in the form of heat currently, the new conductor would have it only lose .1%. A 1% gain is great but it's not a 10% gain in overall efficiency.

Or something. Very hard to tell what is happening from the article.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like a lot of confusion in the reporting. From what I can gather, Toyota is reducing the losses in the power electronics by 90%. The 90% would, however, be a relative not an absolute reduction. For example, if the power electronics lost 1% of the battery power in the form of heat currently, the new conductor would have it only lose .1%. A 1% gain is great but it's not a 10% gain in overall efficiency.

Or something. Very hard to tell what is happening from the article.
True. At least it's not entirely in the "100 mpg carburetor" category like so many of the claims regarding EVs are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts