GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
(And yes, I care about the TM3 because my oldest kid is getting one and the spouse will drive the Volt as it currently stands.)

Edmunds

Published on Jun 14, 2018

Did Tesla's over-the-air firmware update change the braking distance of our Model 3? Dan Edmunds, director of vehicle testing for Edmunds, heads back to the track with our long-term Model 3 for a second round of brake tests following a firmware update (2018.18.13) Tesla released late in May. The update is said to address an issue with the Model 3's braking system after some third-party organizations reported exceptionally long stopping distances for the vehicle in testing. We changed nothing else on our car, using the same brakes, the same tires, set at the same tire pressure (45 psi), and the exact same testing protocol we always do. Here's what we found.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Major **emergency** braking factors are

a) cars weight -- duh -- (for example:
3,814 lbs for Tesla Model 3 LR is &
3,395 lbs for 2018 Toyota Camry XSE
419 lbs difference)

b) tires

Will be interesting to see the Tesla Model 3 performance (3.5 sec 0-60) as it has beefier brakes and certainly people will put more performance tires on them that are softer (better gripe for traction and braking).

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Edmunds above got 122' in their Tesla Model 3 after the OTA vs 133' the first time before the OTA fix.

3,814 lbs for Tesla Model 3 LR is &
3,395 lbs for 2018 Toyota Camry XSE
419 lbs difference

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, it's just average as it currently stands.

Hopefully that will bug Elon enough to where he improves it in the next couple months before mine is available.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Edmunds test on the 2018 Volt with those crappy hard as iron skinny tires:

60mph to 0mph = 119 ft.

Put some tires on it, and stops quicker.

Or something bigger, and cheaper? V6 Camaro (non-1LE, all season tires) = 111 ft.

Perhaps the upcoming Model P3D needs a goal post to kick for?

For less money, you get the same 3.5s to 60mph out of the 3900lb ZL1/1LE but it stops in 91 feet until the tires melt off it. And yes, it will strip the paint off any Tesla made to date while cornering or on the main straight.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Camaro ... ZL1/1LE
I pointed out picture of the common Corvette tires before and here are some on the Camaro.

WOW, amazing they can stop well with those itty bitty skinny tires. GM/Chevrolet must be defying physics :)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I pointed out picture of the common Corvette tires before and here are some on the Camaro.

WOW, amazing they can stop well with those itty bitty skinny tires. GM/Chevrolet must be defying physics :)

The Volt which also stops shorter than the Model 3, wears 215/50-17's LRRs.
The Model 3 which is a marketed as the Best Car In Class, wears at worst, 235/45-18's.

The Performance Model 3?

For $79,000 you can probably put performance tires on it. The performance Camaro ($71k) wears 305/30-19 + 335/30-19's.

The V6 Camaro wears 245/50-18's all-seasons and also outstops the Model 3 @ $27k

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
The performance Camaro ($71k) wears 305/30-19 + 335/30-19's.
The V6 Camaro wears 245/50-18's
245 and 335!! Nice wide tires with reasonably soft rubber (vs low roll resistance eco tires) help stop. You know ... physics.

Again comparable weight, same tires, and on same surface is the only thing that proves anything.

Please tell us all that you canceled your reservation since you only have negative things to say about the TM3. Buy a Camaro with sticky 335s. :)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
245? I don't know much about tires, could you help me?

Again comparable weight, same tires, and on same surface is the only thing that proves anything.

Please tell us all that you canceled your reservation since you only have negative things to say about the TM3. Buy a Camaro with sticky 335s. :)
The math:

The base V6 Camaro tires tread width is 7.5" wide
The Model 3 narrowest tire option is 7.8", options up to 8.4" tread width unless they release the 20" rims, then it's 8.8".

The aspect ratio and wheel size affect the tread width. Tires are measured at the sidewalls, excluding rim protection flanges.

The factory base tires for both the V6 Camaro and the Volt are long-life all-season designs for all of the world, with no disclaimer.
There is a track tire, big brake option for the V6 Camaro which I didn't use for obvious reasons.

A Model S P85D with Summer-Only Performance tires is 118 feet, or about where a Volt is. No data available for the P100D, but heard it's not very good for a performance car.

So yes, the Model 3 as tested probably had 23mm wider tires, but at least 7.5mm wider than the Camaro. No excuse at all for not outstopping the blended brake, nose heavy, higher CG, older design, smaller brake Volt.

But think about it. If you can change the braking distance with software, it never was the brakes or the tires. It was coding errors.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Sell your Volts since you only have bad things to say about GM, right?

I might buy another Camaro or end up with two Vettes again. We will see. These are not EVs, and are not used for the same purpose.

As of today, there are no racing EVs that aren't rare handbuilt megabuck science fair projects. When I get time, perhaps I'll build one. The Jaguar might come the closest to a performance EV. Or perhaps the Model P3D will surprise us. We will see. Elon never was a fan of steering wheels or brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts