GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I've been an off and on reader of the forum without an account for a long time, but recently decided to fess up and become an active posting member. :)

Loved EV's, aerodynamics, and hybrids since I was a kid - first thing I fell in love with was a photo of the 1985 Ford Probe V I saw in a book from my elementary school library. (can't include picture/link in first posting. :cool:)

Was a teenager as the Insight and Prius came out, and later on got into ecomodding and hypermiling as I grew up a techy kid with a lot of electronics and automotive experience.

Many years later, I'm in slow progress to build my own EV (helped design/test an open-source DC controller) as well as opening my own PC repair & electronics shop while I continue to work my normal day job to pay the bills for my wife, daughter, and I.

My office recently moved farther away from our home and after a long debate, we opted not to move closer with it and I'll just keep commuting. However, we*are* selling our house for a nicer one and are going to use some of the proceeds to replace my 2006 Saab 9-5.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
A 2013 or 2014 Volt would be a nice commuter. I had a 2013 and despite a few quirks it was a fine solid reliable car. Volt is a blast to play with if you're into statistics and hypermiling. Heck, it's a blast to drive even if ya don't care about hyper-miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 2014 I think will be out of my available price range once we use up a bunch of our profit from sale of our current house towards down payment + closing costs on our new house. It'd be nice, but not feasible unless I find a steal on a base '14.

I've posted a separate thread with more commute details.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A higher mileage Volt is not a risky purchase. By the time you need to replace it, Gen 3 or 4 will be upon us--with more great used bargains.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Don't look away from the early versions. I have a 2012 that I got at a low price with low miles and it's great! There's kind of a trade-off of features that are missing or not, depending on how you look at it. For instance, while hold mode would be nice, I find I don't actually miss it hardly at all. And the black top and back insert look fantastic. And many have said that the build quality of the 2012's is the best of any of them - don't know how true that actually is, but it sounds pretty good to this 2012 owner!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't look away from the early versions. I have a 2012 that I got at a low price with low miles and it's great! There's kind of a trade-off of features that are missing or not, depending on how you look at it. For instance, while hold mode would be nice, I find I don't actually miss it hardly at all. And the black top and back insert look fantastic. And many have said that the build quality of the 2012's is the best of any of them - don't know how true that actually is, but it sounds pretty good to this 2012 owner!
I'm most likely going to be looking at 2012 or 2013's, just to meet the available funds. I don't want to be making payments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts