GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering where the plug is? Is it on the other side? Is it under the Volt emblem just in front of the side mirror pylon? I'm hoping it is on the driver's side in an easy-to-get-to spot.

I want to park my volt get out and immediately and easily plug it in. I don't want to have go marching around the car nor do I want to have to squat down to get at it.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The Volt's charging receptacle is under the RH rear corner of the vehicle. Don't worry you won't have to march, (you can just walk) and better yet won't have to squat! You'll just have to lie on you back and "shuffle" underneath (avoiding the hot ICE exhaust system) to plug it in. The trunk materials include a small CHEVY VOLT logo'd "driveway mat" so you dont soil your suit jacket or trousers when plugging in after your commute.

;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's possible that they haven't decided yet. The outside has been mostly completed, but the drive train and everything under the skin is still a work in progress. They may not decide about plug location until they actually have working prototypes to play with and test.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Interesting thought w/ respect to the plug... I wonder if the Volt will detect that you're plugged in an warn you or even refuse to move while plugged in? My partner is a paramedic... the ambulances are on "shore power" when parked at the station to keep the box at a comfortable temperature without having to run the generator. Even though the power cord hangs from the ceiling and plugs in right where the driver has to get in the truck, there have been a few incidents where the driver has pulled out with the shore power still attached and either damaged the plug or yanked down the cord from the ceiling.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Interesting thought w/ respect to the plug... I wonder if the Volt will detect that you're plugged in an warn you or even refuse to move while plugged in? My partner is a paramedic... the ambulances are on "shore power" when parked at the station to keep the box at a comfortable temperature without having to run the generator. Even though the power cord hangs from the ceiling and plugs in right where the driver has to get in the truck, there have been a few incidents where the driver has pulled out with the shore power still attached and either damaged the plug or yanked down the cord from the ceiling.
I believe GM has already publicly noted that the Volt will in fact NOT let you drive off while it's plugged in. It's very easy for the vehicle to know that it is connected to power.

My question on that would be, will it know that it's plugged in if it's plugged into a remotely managed outlet, and the outlet is off?

(I use a home automation system which has [I do not own any yet] electrical outlets you can remotely turn off and on. I figured I could use one to control when an electric vehicle charges. However with the Volt, it looks like it manages when it charges through a schedule you program on it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts