GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off-hello all!

Last week marked my 3rd month with my 2018 Volt and I have to say I really like this car. It exceeded all my expectations. I do have some recommendations or wishes for changes but they're by no means deal breakers.

1. More tilt in the steering wheel. I'm 6ft tall and when I get in I have to tilt my right leg ccw to about 10 oclock to clear the steering wheel. It's already set to the highest setting but I'm still hitting it. This is my first sedan in 10 years so maybe just I'm used to the height of SUVs? idk.
2. The supplied EVSE should be either 110v or 220v.
3. Optional AWD
4. Improve the charging lid latching. - I typically have to press it twice sometimes 3 times to latch.
5. And finally an option to remove or disengage the ICE from the system. So currently I'm easily 100% EV. My work commute is almost nothing and I typically don't travel further than 15 miles. The only time I'm burning fuel is when the Volt is in EM mode. I wish I had the option to keep the fuel tank dry and disengage the EMM. If I'm going out of town, fill it up and engage the engine. That's half of the reason I bought the Volt and not the model3, to have this flexibility. As it is I'm only buying gasoline to keep the EMM busy. Granted 2 or 3 fill ups a year (if that) is better than weekly fill ups but it still seems like a waste.

Like I said I'm really liking this car as is and from my list above the most important thing is definitely the lack of steering wheel tilt.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
First off-hello all!

Last week marked my 3rd month with my 2018 Volt and I have to say I really like this car. It exceeded all my expectations. I do have some recommendations or wishes for changes but they're by no means deal breakers.

1. More tilt in the steering wheel. I'm 6ft tall and when I get in I have to tilt my right leg ccw to about 10 oclock to clear the steering wheel. It's already set to the highest setting but I'm still hitting it. This is my first sedan in 10 years so maybe just I'm used to the height of SUVs? idk.
3. Optional AWD
4. Improve the charging lid latching. - I typically have to press it twice sometimes 3 times to latch.
5. And finally an option to remove or disengage the ICE from the system. So currently I'm easily 100% EV. My work commute is almost nothing and I typically don't travel further than 15 miles. The only time I'm burning fuel is when the Volt is in EM mode. I wish I had the option to keep the fuel tank dry and disengage the EMM. If I'm going out of town, fill it up and engage the engine. That's half of the reason I bought the Volt and not the model3, to have this flexibility. As it is I'm only buying gasoline to keep the EMM busy. Granted 2 or 3 fill ups a year (if that) is better than weekly fill ups but it still seems like a waste.

Like I said I'm really liking this car as is and from my list above the most important thing is definitely the lack of steering wheel tilt.
There is a separate forum here for Suggestions-for-GM-Chevy-Volt.

1 - Have you tried lowering the driver's seat?

2. Agree.

3. AWD will never be offered in the current Volt platform. Wait for rumored Buick BEV/PHEV crossover vehicle.

4. You can adjust the hatch bumpers so the hatch will close and latch. Turn the two protruding rubber bumpers about 1/2 turn clockwise each and try the hatch. Repeat until the hatch closes and latches properly the first time it is closed. Alternately, leave a door open until you have closed the hatch. Just release the open hatch from a height of approx 10-11 inches and it will close and latch without you needed to provide any additional external hand force to the top of the hatch.

5. You don't need to burn 2-3 tanks of fuel per year just to maintain the Volt's gas engine only 2- 3 gallons. If you don't regularly use the Volt's ICE the Owner's Manual recommends keeping the fuel tank 1/3rd full (approx. 3 gallons). The Volt will automatically start Engine Management Mode (EMM) and run the ICE for approx. 10 minutes once every 6 weeks (this will use about a 1 quart of fuel.) After 12 months you will have used most of the fuel in the fuel tank. Fuel Management Mode will automatically start after 12 months and will start to use up the remaining fuel, then it will be time to purchase 2-3 gallons of fresh fuel.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I do wonder why the EVSE isn't 240v ready. It could be. My guess is a liability issue with the adapter. (I know that's kinda crazy but GM Legal did insist on crushing the EV1 for similar reasons).

F

·
0 Posts
He said charging lid latching not hatch latching but you closing method is interesting but rather than opening windows and closing windows I'll just push it closed with hand on top. I think it's a case of charging lid needing adjustment. AWD is nice (I have it on my Tercel) but only use it once or twice a year (global warming and all that):). That's the first time I heard 240V was why they crushed the EV1. In any documentary I've seen it was because EV wasn't "ready". I think it was a larger scale experiment done with real people for free rather than a small scale long term experiment.

S

·
0 Posts
I have also had mine for 3months. Very happy with my decision, would love to have the finish quality of my Caddy - but then the car would be much more expensive :)

I also wonder about the charge port door. It seems very flimsy and I am worried about the latches long term reliabilty. I am going to take the car up to the dealer next week and have them have a look at the door. It might be that I am beening too gentle when I press to open it - i don't want o break it!

J

·
0 Posts
First off-hello all!

3. Optional AWD

1. The tilt/telescope adjustment has a much greater range than my Toyota RAV4 or my daughter's Camry.

2. The EVSE will work just perfectly on 220-240 volts by using a simple plug adapter:

gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?201866-Volt-and-Spark-EV-EVSE-upgrade-to-L1-L2-combo

·
Registered
464 Posts
Regarding the charge port cover latching success being spotty, try pressing the cover door at the 2 o’clock position, works much better that way.

R

·
0 Posts
Regarding the charge port cover latching success being spotty, try pressing the cover door at the 2 o’clock position, works much better that way.
Actually, my 2018 came with the GM Universal/International charger for 120/240v ESVE and am using it with an adaptor to plug into my NEMA 14-50 outlet. Works great and charges in 4-5 hours from empty.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
That's the first time I heard 240V was why they crushed the EV1.
Din't mean to say or imply that. I was referring to the Legal Department concern with liability.

2. The EVSE will work just perfectly on 220-240 volts by using a simple plug adapter:
You have to convert the EVSE and then use an adapter. But see below:

Actually, my 2018 came with the GM Universal/International charger for 120/240v ESVE and am using it with an adaptor to plug into my NEMA 14-50 outlet. Works great and charges in 4-5 hours from empty.
Wow. That's great. No reason people have to buy a second EVSE when the one supplied with the car will work.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Having gas in the Volt tank is a reassuring feeling... Don’t know how much you might feel "range anxiety," but even though my daily gadding about town as a retired person is rarely more than 8-15 miles (99+% ev around town), on those rare occasions every couple of months when I do drive far enough to approach my full charge ev range limit and the ev range estimate drops into the single digits and I’m not home yet, I’m very glad I have an acceptable number of gas miles available... so that if I then choose to drive an extra few miles in this or that direction before heading home, I do it...

It would be terribly inconvenient to choose between driving straight home as efficiently as possible in an attempt to reach home before the battery ran out, and reconfiguring my propulsion system to allow use of gas and then stopping at a station to put some gas into the empty tank just in case I need some before I reach home.

What if you then did make it home without needing gas?

What if you didn’t, but the engine wouldn’t start because it hadn’t been properly lubricated in a long, long time?

The cost of keeping the range extender "active" is the EMM that pops up every six weeks of no gas use... and the use of 0.07 gallons of gas for that maintenance (that for a Gen 1 Volt, the Gen 2 may differ).

I bought my 2012 Volt just over six years ago for the same flexibility you wanted... twice now I’ve driven the 4,000+ mile round trip from my home in Oregon to my sister’s home in Michigan and back. I also take a long vacation drive most years, so my technique is to get the final fill-up on the road when I’m 100+ miles from home. I then arrive with sufficient gas in the tank to eliminate any "range anxiety" while driving around town for months until my next long trip.

Sometimes this works, sometimes not... I’ve experienced 3 FMMs since buying this Volt when the next long drive (and the need to use quantities of gas) didn’t happen within 12 months of arriving home from the previous one, and the small remaining amount of gas needed to be consumed. If you time this right, you can get the FMM to occur during the winter season, which takes advantage of the cabin heat supplied by the burning of gas in the engine. Notes show my last visit to a gas station was in mid-October 2017, so this may work out this year...

Years and years ago, if memory serves me right, the VW Beetle had no gas gauge, but it did have a small "reserve" tank. If you ran out of gas, you flipped the lever, and you had enough gas to get you to a refueling station. For me, my Volt’s range extender serves the same purpose while I’m driving around home... if I run out of the grid power stored in the battery, the car’s computer "flips the lever," and the generator churns out enough electricity to get me home to my wall socket refueling station. The price of this convenience? Running an EMM a couple of times each three months or so...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts