GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from my college hunk of junk. It was a 1999 Buick LaSabre that wasn't in the best aesthetic condition but I kept the engine in perfect order. Definitely in a whole new world now. I managed to score a 2012 Volt that was previously a General Electric cooperate lease for what I hope was a good deal. I paid 11300 for a white volt with 95400 miles. I researched the Volt for a month or so before I purchased one. I graduate as an Industrial Engineer in November and the engineering behind this car just fascinates me. I'd love any advice on maintenance or upgrades or anything at all with owning a car in general. I previously did all the maintenance and repairs on my Buick myself but I'm a bit nervous about trying anything myself with my Volt.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Maintenance is pretty much the same as any car. Tires, 12v-battery, oil changes. Plus the usual fluid checks, wiper blades, etc. A whole lot more tire rotations and a whole lot less oil changing.

I would still take it into a dealer (or call with VIN) to see if there are any recalls or updates needed.

2012s have proven very reliable.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Since it is just approaching 100,000 miles, you should probably consider changing the spark plugs, and also the oil, then it should be good for another 100,000 mules, or at least another two years. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Congrats that's a big upgrade!

For routine maintenance the Volt is pretty light. Oil changes are every two years or when the oil life monitor tell you to change it. The oil change isn't any different from a gas car. Just make sure you use a Dexos certified full synthetic.

Brakes should last a very long time. I would suspect your car has a lot of highway miles so the brakes are still likely in great shape.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
I just upgraded from my college hunk of junk. It was a 1999 Buick LaSabre that wasn't in the best aesthetic condition but I kept the engine in perfect order. Definitely in a whole new world now. I managed to score a 2012 Volt that was previously a General Electric cooperate lease for what I hope was a good deal. I paid 11300 for a white volt with 95400 miles. I researched the Volt for a month or so before I purchased one. I graduate as an Industrial Engineer in November and the engineering behind this car just fascinates me. I'd love any advice on maintenance or upgrades or anything at all with owning a car in general. I previously did all the maintenance and repairs on my Buick myself but I'm a bit nervous about trying anything myself with my Volt.
Do all the normal repairs that you are used to (spark plugs, oil, tire rotations), but if anything requires you to touch the high voltage system, get a certified volt technician to do it. Or go get yourself the real-deal GM service manual and see if you're willing to take that on yourself.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd say with the mileage that most was on gas. Might want to change out the 12 volt battery and give the car a good service job. Later RJD

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to the forum and once you get your maintainance items out of the way....just enjoy this amazing car! You're gonna love it just as all of us here do!❤

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Thanks! Any particular reason for more tire rotations?
The owner's manual says every 7500 miles. It's strange to rotate tires more than changing oil. My first oil change was at 24k miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Day one and I managed to get 105 mpg. I drive a 98 mile round trip to work and back. Didn't get a full charge at work today because there was a semi blocking my spot, but already a huge improvement over the 25 mpg of the Buick!!!
Also thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advice!

3,608 Posts
Hi 98miles,

Congratulations on the Volt, we hope you're enjoying it! I understand that you are currently just seeking the community's advice, but if you ever have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to private message us. We can run a check on your VIN if you're concerned about any potential recalls and also assist with scheduling future appointments at the dealership should you need to visit. We're available and happy to help!

Best,
Vivian K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
598 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stick around. You'll learn a lot here. There was something special I read on here about the water that goes in it. I'm going to let someone else tell you about it.

Right now I just leave everything up to my Volt technician (do you know about those -- Chevy has specially trained technicians for the Volt -- they are at the dealers). If you are doing things yourself, find out about the water; it's not distilled, maybe ionized water, holy water, I don't remember. Just know that you need to ask about it and don't use regular water!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
As someone who grew up in Milwaukee, my advice to you young man is GET THE HELL OUT!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Theres a reason Matt Damon and Ben Afflack were condemned to Milwaukee instead of Hell.

(Dogma reference)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently got a 2012 Volt as well upgrading from a 1995 Honda Del Sol, and while my commute is slightly less than yours (I work maybe 5 miles from work), I've already put an additional 1,500 miles on it (I had to housesit for someone 45 miles away, work, help my sister move, go back and forth to home, and etc etc). You're going to love the upgrade! If you haven't already, talk to Scarlett, he makes customized accessories for the Volt, and a couple of "must haves" for protection purposes! Also make sure you always turn the car off, I've noticed that sometimes I'll think it's off because of how quiet that it is, and then get honked at when I leave!

·
Registered
214 Posts
can't agree. Milwaukee is like my home town but cool in summer. And it has a lake.
Anyway bought my 2012 similar situatuion. Ex GE lease with 85k at the time. I was amazed
by the condtion , drives rides like new. I'm getting upper 40s to low 50's on the battery.
I changed the oil on mine twice in the last 3 months just to get it cleaned out.
Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts