GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, My first post here.
I recently purchased a used 2017 Volt in Hamilton. Low km's and in pretty good shape. The previous owner purchased a Tesla & it was delivered just after I picked up the car. Drove it from Hamilton to London, recharged and drove to Goderich. Then we began our trip back to Brandon, Manitoba. About 2000 km. It was a nice drive but it was all on gas. Used interstate and traveled the speed limit or whatever local traffic was doing. Needed A/C so, basically, I dove it like I would drive my Altima. I got about US 41 MPG from the time I entered the USA at Sarnia until I got to Rugby, North Dakota. This trip took 1-1/2 days and it was a wonderful trip. Nice & quiet. By the time we arrived home, I was familiar with most of the menu settings and have fallen in love with the Volt. Our local GM dealer can not get one, so I have offered my car as a test drive unit to one of the sales people in case there are people that want to sit in and/or drive it. Not knowledgeable as to the number of Volt owners here in Manitoba. I'm looking forward to reading and learning as much as I can.

One question: I only drive about 20 km a day so only use about 20% of the charge. Is it best to let the battery get down to say, 20% of full charge before charging or should I plug it in every evening in the summer. I'll plug it in in the winter, in the garage. Ah, winter - my real unknown!

Regards,
Keith

Kinetic Blue 2017 Volt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congratulations! I'm in Sarnia and bought a Volt in April. I just charge as needed. Pretty sure that is the way it's meant to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the summer sometimes the fans spin up to keep things cool in hot weather. Not sure if it would do this without being plugged in. Plugging it in lets the thermal management keep you battery happy in the hot or cold.

·
Registered
513 Posts
One question: I only drive about 20 km a day so only use about 20% of the charge. Is it best to let the battery get down to say, 20% of full charge before charging or should I plug it in every evening in the summer.
I think Chevy says to plug it in every time you get out of it . . . . and leave it plugged in all the time. I don't do that with mine and I've never done that with any of my BEV's either. I generally try to keep my battery level between 20% and 80% unless I need a full charge to get where I'm going

The Volt battery protocol is pretty conservative - They don't allow you to completely discharge it, nor to they allow you to charge it to 100%, so whatever method you decide to use, it probably won't affect the battery life much, if at all. But, in general, a lithium battery only charged to 80% and seldom discharged below 20% will give you more charge/discharge cycles before it fails than one which is cycled more deeply and recharged more fully

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 18 Premier I picked up in Mar. Just did a long road trip as well and was very pleased with the car. Did not charge the car at all for the week and average 42mpg. the car is a joy to drive we were in the Poconos for quite a bit of the driving and the ride was perfect. When I am home the car is plugged in every night, I do not drive far in the city so I could probably go 4 or 5 days without a charge if I stay off the highway. The Manual say plug it in whenever you can.....last week when the temp went over 10 I came out to the garge and the fans were on doing there job. I figure do what the manual says and everything will be good :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I generally try to keep my battery level between 20% and 80% unless I need a full charge to get where I'm going
Don
That is entirely unnecessary. The Volt's battery management system does that for you.

Just keep the Volt plugged in when possible.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I plug mine in after I use it and unplug after it's fully charged. In those cold Manitoba winters you would want to keep it plugged in all the time. The answer to those cold Manitoba winters is of course, move out to the West Coast, I did.....37 years ago (just not Vancouver, it's too expensive there). :)

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I also have limited driving requirements most days. I usually plug in my 2017 Volt using level 2 charging (240V/16 amps) when the battery state of charge is 50%. Recharging when the battery is at 50% SOC takes just 2.25 - 2.5 hours.

I plug in my Volt daily during the warm summer months in the Mid Atlantic region (middle of June through middle of September). I park my Volt in my garage and the temperature inside the garage can reach 37C. Usually the Volt does not turn on the fan or AC to cool the battery but just to be sure I like to plug in the vehicle around 2PM (the warmest period of the day is 2-5 PM) In the fall and spring I usually can go 2 or 3 days before I plug in the Volt to charge (when the battery SOC is at 50%.)

In the winter months, starting around the end of October through March, I leave my Volt plugged in most of the time because I prefer to use the preconditioning feature to warm the cabin before I start out on my drive. Sometimes I precondition my Volt to preheat the cabin twice or even three times in one day. Preconditioning while plugged in will minimize any loss of battery charge due to cabin heating. Usually the SOC deficit relative to 100% SOC after preconditioning is 0.6 - 0.8 kWh, about 2 or 3 miles of EV range. If you precondition while plugged in using 120V/ 8 or 12 amp level 1 charging there is more of a SOC deficit following the 10 minute preconditioning period (20 minutes if you extend the preconditioning.) The Volt's electric heat can draw as much as 9kW when heating the vehicle (the battery coolant loop has its own electric heating element) but usually the electric heat uses 4 - 6 kW when actively heating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a Soon to be new owner of a used 2017 Volt in Mb. How are you managing this winter? I am buying privately and am nervous, never having driven a Volt. She will need to sit out in the elements during 12 hr shifts (plugged in to a regular outlet). I am also looking at higher mileage and hope everyone will feel free to share reliability info. 👍

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lost my reply to you. Check your PM's. I get ~ 50 km on a charge in the current weather. We should get together for coffee if you are in the area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a 2013 Volt owner since September 2016 in Winnipeg. I too purchased my Volt in Toronto and drove it to Winnipeg. I am so pleased with my Volt. I have had no issues and it handles the cold winters well albeit with severely reduced electric range. I don't need to leave mine outside but I don't think that will be an issue from the testimonials I have seen. I plug in daily at work and/or home and drive on average 90 plus percent electrically. I feel that is quite an achievement since it is the go to vehicle for the 3 drivers in our family. What is your assessment of the first 6 months of ownership?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey reVoltingly, I have to say that I still love the Volt. So it gets reduced mileage in the winter. Big deal - NOT.My ICE did also. On electric, it meets my driving needs 98% of the time. The few times it doesn't, the ICE kicks in & does it flawlessly. I am now seriously looking at moving up to a 2019 if I can get decent pricing. Will be meeting with the OP to inform on the Volt, but it was easy enough to pick up how it works by reading in the forum and just normal use. I have made three trips from Ontario and two to Ontario. Will be making another one this Christmas, then to Texas. This is IMHO the best car I have ever owned. Too bad Chevy isn't going to be making them any longer. Also too bad they (GM & DEALERS) never advertised them. Until I bought mine, I had NEVER heard of them! Only way I knew about the Volt, was that my brother suggested it when I was thinking of purchasing a Tesla M3 from Calgary. Then I researched the Volt & got to take one for a drive. I was sold then. Bought it privately the same day. Wife & I flew down to get it without a close inspection or a drive. Absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got my Volt, love her to bits though I have MUCH to learn. I haven't had to deal with any super cold nights with her outside yet. This is a really comfortable solid feeling car. So thankful for the advice from Manitoba Keith!!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I remember those cold Manitoba winters, the sparkle of the yard light on the snow like a million diamonds when it's twenty below (or colder), the crunch of snow on snow boots when it's that cold, the tobogganing and building tunnels in the snow drifts out at the big ditch. The getting stuck in snow (even with snow tires and sometimes chains) and shoveling to get out to the main road into town. Wouldn't change that upbringing and memories for anything but glad to leave it as memories as I look out at the misty rain and 7C days waiting for double digits. Sigh.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts