GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few basics tips for new owner

Set your HOME. Marking “home” allows you to set your charging to 12 amps instead of the default 8 amp. (Level 1 120 Volt)

Set charge rates so the car only charges on non peak hours (weeknights and weekend)

Using your remote pre-start your car and it will heat/cool for up to. 10min Note you can program departure time and it will use the charger to heat or cool saving your battery.

Pressing unlock then press it again and hold it. Your window will all roll down. (Option needs to be turned on in radio settings)

Using your level 1 factory charger with 220 volts. Makes it a level 2 charger. Google you will find a you tube video. Note. Installing in Ontario ask your electrician to install a plug for a welder. Less red tape and since this is a unsupported mod. Don’t tell him why your really doing it. (VOLT Charger draws 12 amps max on a 2018 and lower)

Things my salesmen didn’t mention
The car will park itself (premium not sure about Lt)

Lane keep assist - actuly steers your car back into your lane. (High way speeds)

“L” drive in L instead of “drive” and you will Regen much faster one peddle driving. Ps your brake light dosent come on unless you press the brake so be careful the guy behind you isn’t too close. CORRECTION BY KRAVEN-If the rate of deceration is at least .12G force, the brake light will come on

LINK! (just found this after 3 weeks of googling.. looks really good for new owners.

https://my.chevrolet.com/learn/2017/Volt

Down Load the "MyChevrolet" App.(on star not required) In the app look at "Owner Manuals" it's the crib notes ver of the 350 page manual!

Please post your tips so I can learn more 😉.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
It appears you have done your homework, even read your Owner's Manual. I can't count the number of times new Volt owners have posted questions that can be easily answered by reading the manual. I suggest you read the new owner section of the forum, especially the spare tire thread and the jump starting thread.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I've read part of the owner's manual (haven't got through it yet). I know what I need to know to do what I want to do (at least when the car is working right which so far it is). I'll have an interesting report on my coolant flush (when it comes up later in the month). I think it's the first one they've done. A little scary as the car is working great and normally I wouldn't touch a thing except I want to keep the Voltec warranty in good standing. It didn't come with a infotainment book but I down loaded it off line but figured how to turn it off and on and change volume on my own as well as set the sole local radio station which plays listenable music as a preset. Still haven't used USB and the plug in voltmeter is still on its way over from Hong Kong. It's a 2013 and has a CD slot. I thought only 2012's and pre had hard drives. What's the deal there? Yah, I know, might be in radio book.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One item the OP has wrong in his bullet point list above is regarding driving in “L” and the need to press the brake to get the brake light to turn on. Not true. If the rate of deceration is at least .12G force, the brake light will come on. The engineers took care of that as well, letting the driver behind you know you are slowing down due to regen as long as the rate of deceleration is high enough.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's what I thought too but for the life of me I couldn't find anything in the manual about brake lights going on in L. I was considering asking my wife to follow me one day so I could tell for sure. She'd probably think I'm even more of a nerd than she already thinks though...LOL

Where did you find the .12G number? I couldn't find it in my manual (I have a 2018).

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,213 Posts
That's what I thought too but for the life of me I couldn't find anything in the manual about brake lights going on in L. I was considering asking my wife to follow me one day so I could tell for sure. She'd probably think I'm even more of a nerd than she already thinks though...LOL

Where did you find the .12G number? I couldn't find it in my manual (I have a 2018).

Thanks!
Federal safety rules.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
“L” drive in L instead of “drive” and you will Regen much faster one peddle driving. Ps your brake light dosent come on unless you press the brake so be carful the guy behind you isn’t too close.
If you drive in L instead of D, you get a stronger level of regen when you take your foot off the accelerator (even more if you use the paddle’s higher level). This slows you down faster, but on level terrain, the total quantity of regen you put back into the battery when slowing down from one speed to another, or even to a complete stop, is about the same for any method... stronger regen for a short time or weaker regen for a longer time.

When slowing down because the traffic light ahead has changed to red, decelerating at a slower rate over a longer distance gives the traffic light more time to turn green, so once it changes, you may use less energy to accelerate back up to traffic flow speed.

By the by, in the Gen 2 owner manual section on Regen on Demand, the text says, "Regen on Demand allows increased deceleration by pressing and holding the steering wheel paddle. It works in D (Drive) and L (Low). The accelerator pedal must be fully released for it to work...

...Cruise control will turn off, and the brake lights may come on, when this feature is activated..."

The manual does not indicate if this may happen while driving in L, or if it’s the additional braking force obtained via use of the paddle that may trigger the brake lights.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
...Cruise control will turn off, and the brake lights may come on, when this feature is activated..."

The manual does not indicate if this may happen while driving in L, or if it’s the additional braking force obtained via use of the paddle that may trigger the brake lights.
That's probably why there are multiple threads and videos of people testing that "brake lights in L" question and the answer seems to be "yes, if the car slows fast enough" for Gen 2 and Bolt, "No, because it doesn't slow that fast" for Gen 1.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
There are good items

we have always needed a day 1 - week 1 and month 1 item list

we do have a year 5 list item that says ( get all that nasty conductive fluid out of the 3 volt cooling tanks )

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Everybody knows that you can unclip the sun visor and swing it over to the side window. But some may not know that you can also slide the visor back toward the B pillar to block the sun if necessary. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Everybody knows that you can unclip the sun visor and swing it over to the side window. But some may not know that you can also slide the visor back toward the B pillar to block the sun if necessary. :)
I don’t know why, but that is one of my favorite interior features of this car. That and the hidden umbrella/flashlight storage in the door panel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts