GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 Chevy Volt last week. I am so excited about this car and also so happy to find this forum. Have been reading many posts and have learned tons about my volt from all of you guys. Thank you.

I live in Toronto. And I worry about plugging in my car during freezing rain in winter time. Saw an EV charging port protecive cover on Amazon, but it costs between $26 to $39 for such a simple cover. So I thought, hmmm I could probably make one myself.

Went to the dollar store and bought a cheap car trash bag. Made a hole on one side and pull the charging gun through the hole. Then sticked a strip of magnet on the lid of the bag. And for just a few bucks I have my own charging port protecive cover.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Looks good but I parked my 2014 outside for 7 years at the factory where I worked in all kinds of freezing rain and snow and never had an issue, always came out at the end of a work day with a full charge. I'm not that far from you either and my employer was kind enough to supply EV chargers to all that had EVs.

You may well find that cover may not function well with a lot of ice and heavy snow on it but I've been wrong before, ask my wife. LOL

I wouldn't sweat it, a cover really isn't necessary.

Reactions: DonkeyVolt

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on your new-to-you Volt and welcome to the forum! One trick to help prevent the charge port door (or any car door) from freezing shut is to lightly spray the rubber seal with silicone spray lube. I'm more concerned about rain/snow getting into my L1 120v plug so I routinely bag it when plugged in at a 5-20 outlet at work. What made you buy a 10 yr old plug-in nerd car?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Snow Automotive design Hood Tree Freezing

Wish I'd had one on my Gen 2 (2016) last year in a big Saskatchewan blizzard. Ice and snow (brushed off as much as I could but was in a hurry) pushed the charge door sensor out of position.

Couldn't drive down the street anyway, far too deep. Should've just left it in the driveway! I haven't had any issue with more normal amounts of snow.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premium, Purchased March 2019, 57k miles
32 Posts
Here's what I bought for mine ... $10 USD + shipping.

VoltPort Charge Port Cover (weebly.com)
I've had problems in cold weather. And I don't think this would help much. It is a neat idea, though.
When my car is outside, ice accumulates on the hinges and around the inside, making it hard to close the door. Trying to chip ice of plastic is a chore.

I use a microfiber cloth draped over the door an charging cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts