GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time Prius owner and just bought a 2017 gen2 volt. The more I read about the gen2 powertrain, the more appropriate I felt it was for me....so here I am now.

I'm really excited about the car, it's got much more personality than the Prius which even in the just released models is a 10sec 0-60 car. I've always felt that with more electric power for driving/regen it could be much more efficient, and here comes the gen2 volt which has all that...and it's an 8sec car and REALLY takes off from a stop...lots of fun.

I'm probably unusual in the respect that I want/need the hybrid aspect of the volt as I frequently (3-4 times a week) have a 150 mile round trip commute. So I've been driving the 2 ends of the trip (slow speeds off the highway) in electric mode, and using the engine on the highway. I generally drive 65-75mph on the highway portions. So far I seem to be getting around 40mpg on the highway portion of my trip at that 65-75 speed.

I waited until the adaptive cruise control was available as that is important for my highway portion of my trip as I frequently hit folks clogging the left lane at 65, or traffic slowdowns. So far the ACC has worked very well and I'm starting to get a good feel for when it's useful, and when it is really on the edge of it's capabilities. It has lead to a much more relaxing drive being able to rely on the ACC as normal cruise control had become almost useless in medium to heavy traffic.

I've read some very useful posts on the ACC and will be interested in researching it further with folks.

I'm an Android phone user and have been trying Android Auto with mixed success, many things work well, but it's a little to protective/safety minded at times.

By trade I'm an electrical engineer and my senior project in college in 1980 was a paper design of a hybrid car so I've been thinking about this topic for several decades with fairly in depth technical knowledge.

Due to the nature of forums I will probably be in observer mode until I get accustomed to the way folks use this forum.

Anyway, looking forward to the volt, REALLY enjoying it so far.

Thanks, John

·
8,680 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome. We're still learning about the 2017 with ACC here, but there's a lot to read about Volts in general, and lots of people to talk to. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts