GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reaching out and expressing my appreciation for this forum. I am reading and studying like a crazy guy as my wife has just gotten me a new Chevy Volt, 2015. I am ecstatic and also under a lot of strain reading up on all the things I need to to be up to speed, pardoning the pun.

Thanks for all the Entries, folks.

Now, To Use an Extension cord or not? Hummm....I need one for my power source. What think you all?

charlie
in Florida

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. Opinions will vary on extension cords (including your manual). Give an L2 EVSE some consideration, and how you will supply it. Maybe you don't need to go the extension cord route.

Edit: "L2" means 240 volt.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have used a 12 gage 25' extension cord when on vacation. I wouldn't use a smaller (numerically higher) gage than that and no greater length.

If at all practical you're better off plugging directly into a good condition high quality outlet.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Opinions will vary on extension cords (including your manual).
What's a manual? Must be just for the men . . .

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your awesome present!!

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
Just reaching out and expressing my appreciation for this forum. I am reading and studying like a crazy guy as my wife has just gotten me a new Chevy Volt, 2015. I am ecstatic and also under a lot of strain reading up on all the things I need to to be up to speed, pardoning the pun.

Thanks for all the Entries, folks.

Now, To Use an Extension cord or not? Hummm....I need one for my power source. What think you all?

charlie
in Florida
You are a very lucky man. We all wish our wives would buy us cars.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...To Use an Extension cord or not? Hummm....I need one for my power source. What think you all?

charlie in Florida
Using ANY extension cord with an EVSE is a violation of the National Electrical Code Article 625, Electric Vehicle Charging Systems. There are approved alternatives, including permanently installed EVSE and/or extension cable for use on the protected side (vehicle side) of the EVSE.

Of course, these alternatives are more costly and less flexible than a simple extension cord. However, should you have an incident while using an extension cord your insurance company would have a reason not to cover it. And that could turn out to be much more costly in the long run.

Have fun with your present, but do so safely, even while charging.

KNS

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used a good quality 12 gauge cord on a number of occasions to charge my Tesla via 110V with no issues. For Earth day I needed 100' and charged at 15 amps (about double the Volt) default for 7 hours with no issue. I agree it is not best for a "permanent" solution but a good quality 12 gauge cord is no different that household wiring.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The issue is usually in the plugs, and the method of connection to those plugs. Crimp connections might get hot or burn up over time.
That's why I like the 10ga extension cord I use, the cord ends are clear. :D

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
That's why I like the 10ga extension cord I use, the cord ends are clear. :D
Mine is 10AWG too, and has industrial quality plug ends - plenty of overkill. But I only used it until I got the L2 unit. I needed something that could reach my ceiling garage door opener outlets since my GFCIs kept popping and I didn't want to replace them just for this (I had already decided on the L2 EVSE from Clipper Creek).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use an extension cord when/if needed, as quite often the portable 120V EVSE that comes with the Volt may not reach that outlet you see not all too far from where you're able to park. If you do decide to use an extension cord, buy one rated for outdoor use that is heavy-duty (10 guage). I too replaced the ends of the extension cord as the crimp connections in most cords are inadequate or suspect. As others have mentioned, high quality plug ends are beneficial and can be obtained at any Home Depot, etc.

Whenever I use the extension, I check the connections for excessive heat about 10 minutes after starting to charge. Consider using a GFCI cord if the outlet is not gfci protected. Although the EVSE has protection circuitry, the extension cord you are considering to attach to it does not have GFCI.

Congrats on your new car. Enjoy!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have used a 15-foot appliance cord every day since leasing my 2012 in June, 2012. It has worked without a hitch. I have also been perfectly satisfied with the 110-V EVSE that comes with the Volt, connected perpetually to the aforementioned appliance cord.

The appliance cord plugs into a standard socket on the garage ceiling intended for garage door openers. Another nice finding, is that I can operate my two garage doors simultaneously on that same circuit to my heart's content, all the while charging the Volt through the factory-issue EVSE. And that's a standard 15-amp circuit, and the Volt is charging at max rate.

So if you only need to charge overnight, I highly recommend saving yourself a lot of $$$ and just go with the standard 110V EVSE and an appliance cord if the reach is too far to your outlet otherwise.

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
P
Using ANY extension cord with an EVSE is a violation of the National Electrical Code Article 625, Electric Vehicle Charging Systems. There are approved alternatives, including permanently installed EVSE and/or extension cable for use on the protected side (vehicle side) of the EVSE.

Of course, these alternatives are more costly and less flexible than a simple extension cord. However, should you have an incident while using an extension cord your insurance company would have a reason not to cover it. And that could turn out to be much more costly in the long run.

Have fun with your present, but do so safely, even while charging.

KNS
+1M

Think of it this way. You can dunk the charging cord into a bucket of water and it will not shock anyone. But if you dunk the pigtail plug and extension cord end into a bucket of water, sparks will fly. Many people have used an extension cord and not fried anything, but the right thing to do is have a proper outlet wired to where you park the car. and if you are already getting something wired up, you might as well spring for a L2 EVSE and get the benefits of 3-4 hour full charges.

·
Registered
360 Posts
At home I have a Clipper Creek, but when visiting my family I use a standard 25' orange extension cord and the L1 EVSE. At 12 Amps the connectors get slightly warm, so now I use the 8 Amp rate. I'm sure everything would be fine at the higher rate, but I just don't want to take any chances. But I also want the "free" charge. It's a reasonable compromise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been using a 12ga extension chord for 18 months with no issues. Here are the precautions I have taken:

Replace the electrical outlet you are going to use with a 20-amp gfci outlet. One like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_245864-334-VGF20W-L_0__?productId=1238557&Ntt=20+amp+electrical+outlet&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D20%2Bamp%2Belectrical%2Boutlet&facetInfo=

Connect it by using the screws on the side; not the holes on the back.

If charging at 8 amps will get me fully charged before I leave for work, that is what I use. I have and will use 12 amps if I get home later, and can't get a full charge using 8.

If you are plugging into an unfamiliar socket, like the one at your work, use 8 amps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts