GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm writing from Reno, where I recently purchased a used 2013 with 39k miles. I'm excited to get to know my car and was wondering what the big updates, issues, or service bulletins I should be checking on to see if I need when I take it into the dealership. I know that's pretty open-ended but whatever anyone has to say is greatly appreciated (which includes directing me to a particular thread, etc.) Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the club. We loved our trouble free 2013. The new ones are great cars too.
The most important thing on a 2013 is to learn the heater. A few 13s had heater problems. Read the owners manuals online or paper to learn how to use the heater. Know when the heater symbol is active on the climate screen. An ICE car has plenty of waste heat but in electric mode you have to make heat with an element. There are many posts on GM-Volt about problems and solutions to the heater.
Volts have above average reliability but at 5 years you are close to needing a flush and refill of the three coolant systems and a 12 volt battery. See if these have been done.
Check the MyChevrolet app to see if there are outstanding recalls. I think there were 3. Nothing dangerous but should be done.They are free.
Enjoy your Volt.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club.

Your 2013, depending on the build date, is most likely due for the coolant system flush and fill. This is due at 5 years or 100k miles whichever comes first. In your case, you are approaching or have already approached the 5 year mark. For reference, my 2013 was built in October 2012, so it was due back in October. Make sure the dealer does all three coolant tanks and not just the one for the engine. If there's no receipt in the glove box and the dealer you bought it from can't confirm they did it, then assume it wasn't done. Check your manual, but I think that's about the only thing you have to worry about for maintenance for a while.

Enjoy the quiet ride!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Make sure the heater works in EV only mode (without the gas engine running). Have them check the liquid levels. Check my signature line for other common issues with the 2013.

·
Registered
902 Posts
2013 Volt Premium and no major issues. Heat is non-existent below-zero temperatures in the mountains, but Reno never gets cold. Defrost works, even for me. The engine kicks-in at temperatures we have been experiencing recently, single digits starting at around 13 degrees. I still get around 100 miles per gallon on my 20-mile daily commute. The only defect that I had was the rear hatch struts failed and were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Heat is non-existent below-zero temperatures in the mountains
Somethings wrong with your car then. It got significantly below that around here recently and with ERDTT and the grid heater working together in Comfort mode I can bake myself out of the car easily. Even above ERDTT temps the grid heater alone will cook you eventually so long as you don't mind the battery hit.

Anyhow, OP, there were quite a few "customer satisfaction program" related bulletins specific to the Volt, ranging on everything from the lift struts on the hatch being problematic, to a fairly major structural strengthening of the battery compartment to reduce the risk of battery damaged in a side impact as well as some updates to the battery cooling system.

There's a good chance that most or all of these were completed by the previous owner(s) as GM was very proactive staying in touch with first gen Volt owners, but it's also possible that they were ignored. It depends on how much the previous owners cared really, as most were not actual full blown recalls, but just "customer satisfaction" events - both are no-cost, but the word recall may prompt owners to bring the vehicles back, while "satisfaction" may not have seemed to be a big enough deal to some to prompt them to complete the others, especially if the previous owners didn't really seem to be experiencing any issues related to the underlying reasons.

Your best bet is to take your car to your local GM dealer and ask them to run the VIN and see what has (and perhaps has not) been completed under the customer satisfaction program list specific to the Volt.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
At that mileage, you will probably need new tires soon if they have not been changed yet. A lot of owners are choosing something different from OEM due to dissatisfaction with those. Lots of threads here on good options.

Also, a lot of owners felt the headlight bulbs were too dim. Lots of threads here on swapping bulbs to better options.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you bought it from a GM dealership, make sure you get a copy of the GMVIS. This will tell you what repairs and service--if any--were completed. It's important information.

Common issues besides what's been mentioned include: sticky charge door, wonky radios (mine replaced 3x), temp sensor failure, and the "sticky" steering wheel issue (fixed easily with a reprogram and warrantied for 150K miles).

I went from a '13 to a '17 and, overall, I thought the build quality on the '13 was dramatically better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly, I've found that the heat is not working during battery miles...basically what everyone has warned me about. I'll try to get the service report (GMVIS) and go from there on the other items. Thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sadly, I've found that the heat is not working during battery miles...basically what everyone has warned me about. I'll try to get the service report (GMVIS) and go from there on the other items. Thank you all for the input.
Are you setting the climate to AUTO and COMFORT and setting the temp to 80? Still no heat? Yes something is wrong. Many folks also turn on the setting that forces the gas engine on to assist the heater. It basically gets you heat much quicker than it would otherwise. You can try that as well. Check the manual, but I think it is under CLIMATE AND CONVENIENCE under the settings menu. It's something about engine assisted heating and make sure the option is ON and NOT DEFERRED.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So on the 2013 it would be one or a combination of these 4 things:

1. Software update needed
2. Auxiliary Coolant Pump needs replaced.
3. 3 way valve needs replaced
4. K10 Heater Control Module needs replaced. (a batch of these were bad. I think if it was produced prior to 5/2013 but not exact on the date).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts