GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
bigal,

It's not recommended to mix tire models on a car, they can pull differently in adverse weather conditions making a car unstable and unpredictable leading to accidents. I replaced 2 of my tires as well but used the factory model to change out the two baldish tires that were 2/32 depth on my Volt. Bought 4 tires of the same model 16798 91H Michelin Energy Savers to get the rebate on a 4 tire purchase. The last two new ones will be installed in the fall. The Michelin Energy savers aren't that great in rain and worse in snow but I live in SoCal so that's not usually an issue for me.

Stephen
Thank you. I really appreciate the alert, Stephen. Sadly, the GM dealership that services my volt recommended these tires. Even more sadly, not knowing you, I trust/value your opinion more than them! What to do now---

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
bigal,

No problem, I've done the same in the past with some sudden squirrely driving results wondering what was going on. It may not be dangerous if a similar tread pattern is used on both model tires. I forgot to mention that I have good weather here in San Diego and that I wanted the best Low Rolling Resistance tires available for a Gen 2 Volt, (my research verified) If you live in normal weather states with rain and snow then you did a good upgrade for your needs where you live. I recommend replacing the next 2 tires with the same model Uniroyal, Tiger Paw Touring all weather tires and make sure the part numbers match, for example there are 4 different part numbers for the available model Michelin Energy Savers 215/50R 17, so I bought the lightest weight 16798 D/T version for my car. Purchased 4 of them on Amazon/TireRack, locally mounted.

Michelin Energy Saver models available for the Volt size:

MFR# 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Thread Formula (To make them last longer)
MFR# 11674 91H 21 lbs OEM Volt
MFR# 33539 91H 22 lbs OEM Bolt - Self Sealer
MFR# 51569 94V 22 lbs V Speed Rating

Stephen

Thank you. I really appreciate the alert, Stephen. Sadly, the GM dealership that services my volt recommended these tires. Even more sadly, not knowing you, I trust/value your opinion more than them! What to do now---

21 - 22 of 22 Posts