GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VOLT owners,

I needed 2 new tires because they were worn down to the depth warning ribs across the tread. After extensive research on this site and others, with self debate, decided to buy 2 of the OEM Michelin Energy Saver All Season 215/50R17 90V, purchased on Amazon for $176.97ea for a total of $388.40 including tax and free shipping. Didn't hunt for a better price because these tires seem to be rare and discontinued. Still don't know if this was the best choice, living in sunny San Diego. the range dropped immediately 4 miles on the guessometer but after 100 miles the range has returned 90% I'd say. What have the forum members experienced? any comments?

Stephen
2017 Volt Premiere
70K mi

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phattyduck,

I don't see hard data in your statement, just an opinion. Since I am happy with the OEM tire performance/mileage and only replaced the two worn tires, I think that buying OEM tires was the best choice for me. In the research could not find any dramatically better tires to buy for my use. listed below is LRR rating for tires available:
  1. Michelin Energy Saver A/S All Season - Best overall low rolling resistance tires
  2. Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology - Best low rolling resistance tire for SUV’s
  3. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus - Best low rolling resistance tires for wet driving
  4. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus - Best quiet fuel efficient tire
  5. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 - Best low rolling resistance tire for winter driving
  6. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max - Best low rolling resistance tire for high-speed stability
  7. Toyo Versado Eco - Best budget low-rolling resistance tire
  8. Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter - Best high mileage tire for enhanced ride comfort
  9. Dunlop EnaSave 01 A/S - Best high mileage tires for electric vehicles
  10. Hankook K425 Kinergy Eco - Best high-performance tire for fuel economy

Stephen

New tires will generally drop the range for a few hundred miles. That part is normal.

Tire technology has improved from when the Volt was new - there are plenty of threads on tires that are easily obtained and better (in whatever way you want) than the OEM tires.

-Charlie

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charlie,

Good point without me asking specifically what I was looking for E.G. grip dry, grip wet, mileage, etc.
didn't ask the right questions for a decisive answer. I do rotate the tires, just not every week lol.

Stephen

You asked for experience and comments... not facts?

Other comment: You should be rotating your tires regularly to wear out a full set of 4 equally, which will give you a much wider range of options when it is time for tire replacement, and give you safer handling through the life of the tires (matched grip front and rear).

And you made my point. There is a TON of information out there on tires. It can be hard to navigate, but if you focus on your personal preference (LRR, grip, noise, comfort, price, etc.) you can find a good tire for your purpose.

-Charlie

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
phattyduck,

I'm back to ordering tires again, the ones I bought were MFR# 51569 94V 22 lbs -V Speed Rating and the mileage range dropped about 4 miles on commute to work, sorry I didn't note the KW consumed on my daily trip, before, after, etc. I expected the drop in range because they were new but the range has not returned yet, Amazon has agreed to let me return the two tires purchased. Today bought from Tirerack 4 new 215/50R-17 Michelin Energy Saver A/S DT Different Tread, Chevy Bolt SL. They show as weighing 20 lbs, are these good replacements to restore original range? Guess I'll find out. The OEM tires (MFR# 11674 91H 21 lbs) have had no complaints about slipping dry, wet, noise or handling, they do seem vulnerable to punctures though. Hopefully I am done with tire replacements for a while. Looking for the highest range as my priority, researched the Nexen N blue EV and the P ZERO AS PLUS ELECT are EV specific tires but are not available in any VOLT size. They are described as SLRR or Super Low Rolling Resistance but are only designed for specific OEM cars, too bad for us!

Stephen

;)

Every would-be oil change is a good schedule (ie. every 5k-10k miles). This keeps even the ultra high performance summer tires that I run on some of my other vehicles wearing evenly.

That reminds me... I should check the mileage on our Volt and see if it needs any maintenance. My wife has been doing a TON of driving the last ~4 months due to family health issues. It is an odd experience to not have the tick-tock clock of regular oil changes.

-Charlie

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guy's,

My range on the GOM is back! I replaced the installed 51569 94V 22 lbs V Speed Rated with the newer, 4lbs lighter (on 2 tires) with 2 new 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Tread Formula. Lifting both tires side by side you can feel the weight difference. Drove only 15 miles but even though the 16798 tires are brand new and the 51569 were worn in I did see an instant improvement. I starting to believe that these Energy Saver A/S tires are the best LLR currently out in the market, only SLRR could be better but they are extremely limited is available sizes that you can buy today. Maybe with the high gas prices there will be incentive to keep further pursuing Lower Rolling Resistance breakthroughs. There always seems to be a tradeoff of comfort, breaking traction, noise etc. Happy with the 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Tread Formula tires, can't wait until I have a set of 4!

Stephen

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
microVOLT,

I agree that the Energy Savers are a bit Sketchy in rain, but in SoCal we don't see much of that, occasional drizzle is more common for us. which turns the spayed oil from engines/transmissions along with the soap compound released from tires into a sort of grease, at least until enough percipitation is dropped to wash it away. I've driven on ice back in New Jersey for years so I do have some skills required to compensate. With our weather here in San Diego these light grip tires are working OK for me. I'm sort of obsessed with EV range on my volt and haven't found better LLR tires yet (if they even exist)

Stephen.

Guy's,

My range on the GOM is back! I replaced the installed 51569 94V 22 lbs V Speed Rated with the newer, 4lbs lighter (on 2 tires) with 2 new 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Tread Formula. Lifting both tires side by side you can feel the weight difference. Drove only 15 miles but even though the 16798 tires are brand new and the 51569 were worn in I did see an instant improvement. I starting to believe that these Energy Saver A/S tires are the best LLR currently out in the market, only SLRR could be better but they are extremely limited is available sizes that you can buy today. Maybe with the high gas prices there will be incentive to keep further pursuing Lower Rolling Resistance breakthroughs. There always seems to be a tradeoff of comfort, breaking traction, noise etc. Happy with the 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Tread Formula tires, can't wait until I have a set of 4!

Stephen

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bigal,

It's not recommended to mix tire models on a car, they can pull differently in adverse weather conditions making a car unstable and unpredictable leading to accidents. I replaced 2 of my tires as well but used the factory model to change out the two baldish tires that were 2/32 depth on my Volt. Bought 4 tires of the same model 16798 91H Michelin Energy Savers to get the rebate on a 4 tire purchase. The last two new ones will be installed in the fall. The Michelin Energy savers aren't that great in rain and worse in snow but I live in SoCal so that's not usually an issue for me.

Stephen

For what it is worth, I bought 2 Uniroyal, Tiger Paw Touring all weather tires expected to run 75000 miles @$153.00 per. Pretty quiet and I haven"t realized any real depreciation in mileage. Of course, I only replaced 2 tires so-----.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
bigal,

No problem, I've done the same in the past with some sudden squirrely driving results wondering what was going on. It may not be dangerous if a similar tread pattern is used on both model tires. I forgot to mention that I have good weather here in San Diego and that I wanted the best Low Rolling Resistance tires available for a Gen 2 Volt, (my research verified) If you live in normal weather states with rain and snow then you did a good upgrade for your needs where you live. I recommend replacing the next 2 tires with the same model Uniroyal, Tiger Paw Touring all weather tires and make sure the part numbers match, for example there are 4 different part numbers for the available model Michelin Energy Savers 215/50R 17, so I bought the lightest weight 16798 D/T version for my car. Purchased 4 of them on Amazon/TireRack, locally mounted.

Michelin Energy Saver models available for the Volt size:

MFR# 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Thread Formula (To make them last longer)
MFR# 11674 91H 21 lbs OEM Volt
MFR# 33539 91H 22 lbs OEM Bolt - Self Sealer
MFR# 51569 94V 22 lbs V Speed Rating

Stephen

Thank you. I really appreciate the alert, Stephen. Sadly, the GM dealership that services my volt recommended these tires. Even more sadly, not knowing you, I trust/value your opinion more than them! What to do now---

1 - 11 of 11 Posts