GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a blurb on DriveTribe about a new Mirai getting 900 miles per tank of hydrogen. That'd certainly address the road-trip fueling time thing that people claim they need instant access to. So let's see where the nearest fueling stations are to me....

I wouldn't even get home.

World Ecoregion White Map Line

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You would need a usable range of 3,000 miles. It's a long way to the next fueling station. At 1 to 3 million per, you won't see a lot of these being built.

• Haha
Reactions: p7wang

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
You would need a usable range of 3,000 miles. It's a long way to the next fueling station. At 1 to 3 million per, you won't see a lot of these being built.
But Toyota advertised that hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe!
Toyota Mirai TV Commercial, 'Abundant' [T2]

The new Marai is not as hideous as the toaster/Darth Vader mess that was originally pushed out the door.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
But Toyota advertised that hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe!
Toyota Mirai TV Commercial, 'Abundant' [T2]

The new Marai is not as hideous as the toaster/Darth Vader mess that was originally pushed out the door.
Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, unfortunately we only have access to what's on Earth and that's all tied up in conjunction with other elements and that bond is very strong and difficult to break (requires a lot on energy in to get some energy out when it reforms with oxygen). Every step you have to make means more loss of efficiency with a result you have a high cost of fuel (plus other disadvantages) to get 5 minute fill time. In other words you have to give up so much to get so little.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Toyota got the Mirai to over 800 miles by driving at less than 30 MPH on a closed track.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
From a year ago, but still interesting (and relevant) today:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You're at least missing two stations and I suspect more.

South Carolina has two hydrogen filling stations: (1.) the Sage Mill Hydrogen Station, which has a capacity of 80 kg/day and (2.) the Columbia Hydrogen Station, which has a capacity of 120 kg/day. These two hydrogen stations are part of South Carolina's Hydrogen Freeway that bridge Aiken and Columbia together.

Apparently in 2009 there were 70 hydrogen stations in the US.
State opens two new hydrogen fuel stations - News - The Augusta Chronicle - Augusta, GA

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're at least missing two stations and I suspect more.

South Carolina has two hydrogen filling stations: (1.) the Sage Mill Hydrogen Station, which has a capacity of 80 kg/day and (2.) the Columbia Hydrogen Station, which has a capacity of 120 kg/day. These two hydrogen stations are part of South Carolina's Hydrogen Freeway that bridge Aiken and Columbia together.
As near as I can tell from the press about those, they don't sell retail. Sage Mill sells in cooperation with a fuel-cell company that's contracted to Kimberly-Clark, it seems, and Columbia operates to fuel transit buses.

You're welcome to take up the oversight with the DoE, but ... I probably wouldn't make it home from there either. There's mountains in the way. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Hydrogen Fueling Station Locations

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I see where Hellsop got his map from (government website).

In mid-2020, there were about 43 retail stations available nationwide, mostly concentrated in California (according to google search). Two in SC and two in North East not shown on government map.

Since then then I've read California got two more stations. Regardless, they are an expensive proposition and if you think EVs and their infrastructure have a tough row to hoe, it's nothing compared to what hydrogen faces. Imagine trying to sell a car that is 3 to 5 times more expensive to operate but you can't drive it anywhere. Explains why Honda sold a total of 6 fuel cell Clarity's one year.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
460 Posts
This would be a good idea if we could fill up with hydrogen at home like we charge our EV's. At the current rate, I don't see mass market adoption of the Mirai in the US anytime soon...

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
This would be a good idea if we could fill up with hydrogen at home like we charge our EV's. At the current rate, I don't see mass market adoption of the Mirai in the US anytime soon...
...Bringing you a Hindenburg to your neighborhood!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw a blurb on DriveTribe about a new Mirai getting 900 miles per tank of hydrogen. That'd certainly address the road-trip fueling time thing that people claim they need instant access to. So let's see where the nearest fueling stations are to me....

View attachment 173175

View attachment 173175
You’all know this already, but I feel like venting: burn mostly gas to split atoms, store hydrogen in massive tanks. Burn energy to transport hydrogen. Store in tanks. Explosion risks at each step. Pump into car - stored at high pressure and takes up space in car and requires v complex mechanisms to do what?.. convert to electricity to propel car. Skip all that by driving battery electric vehicles. Batteries will eventually get smaller and safer. Hydrogen might make sense in semi-trucks etc but I’ll bet after 15 years even that will become cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just to make it clear, the 900 miles was from hypermiling. They carefully selected a route where they could travel at low speed and minimize stopping and hills. It was a stunt, not a capability improvement.

The Mirai still has a modest range and huge fueling anxiety. If you run out of hydrogen, you need to have the car flat-bedded to a fueling station. They don't even have an emergency charging option for the 1.6 kWh battery to get the last few miles to a station.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hydrogen is a wonderful element can be produced easily on your kitchen table with two stainless steel butter knifes the blades spaced apart with rubber bands inserted into a cup of salt water and add your positive and negative battery terminals watch the bubbles float to the surface and explode with a cigarette lighter

You can build a hydrogen fuel cell add it to your gas or diesel vehicle and watch your miles per gallon increase when added to the intake air
This is a large stirling engine being powered by solar this energy from the stirling engine can then be used to run the fuel cell to generate hydrogen from water now we must store the hydrogen and feed it into our vehicles
N
Product Water Font Line Parallel

It will be happening I would say within the next 50 years you can have your own generating plant in your backyard of course h2o hydrogen is very powerful as is gasoline powerful so is lithium powerful and we are sitting on lithium when we drive our Chevy volts
The supply of lithium will be depleted hydrogen will never be depleted so pure so powerful so plentiful
You can Google hydrogen fuel cells to add to your truck or vehicle I have built my own!
I really enjoyed putting hydrogen in a water bottle and throwing it in the fire pit Outdoors and watch it blow up
Just my two cents I know I'm a little bit odd and see things outside of the box
Slowspeed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts