GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/girls, loved the Volt since it first debuted, however I was in high school at the time and obviously couldn't swing one! Now that I am out of college and have a big boy job, I have been seriously looking into getting a clean, low mileage, used Volt. I have been poking around the site for a while but finally decided to make an account and see what people had to say! Possibly hear some of the significant things to look for in a used Volt as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
A used Gen 1 Volt is one of the best deals in cars right now.
(a new 2015, if you can find one, might be an even better deal, ~ $20K depending on incentives)

Look below at some of the "Similar Threads" to see what others have said in the past.

Make sure you have someplace to plug in every day to get the most benefit out of the car.

I have had my 2013 since Feb and haven't been to the gas station yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats on your college graduation (I'm a Penn Stater myself - U.P. for 8 years undergrad and grad). Congrats also on your choice for first 'big boy job' car! You'll find out after checking out this forum for a while that the 2013s are highly prized used Volts, most especially because so many of them are absolutely pristine off-lease cars w/very low miles, and essentially zero wear and tear ('cause the lease companies rip you a new one if you so much as even think about having a scratch on the paint or balding tires, or whatever else they can use to separate you from as much of your cash as possible at lease turn-in). You should be able to land a 2013 off-lease for around $12k-$16k, depending on equipment level (miles are mostly 36k or less due to typical 12k max allowance per year). A brand new loaded 2015 can be had these days (if you can find one) for $18k-$20k or even a smidge less after all rebates/incentives and tax credits. You may want to check that you'll have at least $7500 in Fed tax liability though for the 2016 tax year before counting that credit off your purchase price. PA probably also has some state incentives to help out with a new Volt purchase. For what it's worth, GM is heavily subsidizing 2016 leases in certain states - I don't know if PA is one of them though. In Northern California, there are dealers offering $129/month low-mileage leases with a few grand out-the-door (which you can lower with things like Conquest rebates, Private Offers, GM Card Cash Allowance, etc.). Leases can be really tricky though, so be careful if you decide to go that way (and check the leasehackr.com website before you do anything!).

Anyway, if you're certain about getting used, go with the 2013 off-lease with Nav and the Safety 1 & 2 packages. Bose audio is nice to have also. When I got my new 2015 in October, I also ordered (on eBay) the front and rear all-weather mats and the all-weather cargo mat. The factory-installed standard mats are thin and feeble, and get worn quickly like typical carpeted floor mats. The all-weathers are SUPERB and don't wear out at all (and when they're dirty or stained, just take a hose to them to get them looking new again!). On used, look at the lifetime MPG on the center console display. If it's got 30-35k miles and the lifetime MPG is something like 40-50, then the owner didn't charge much and ran the ICE mostly. With heaps of moving parts that need lubrication, miles on the ICE are more expensive in terms of wear and tear than miles on the electric motors. Something in the 110+ MPG area suggests a blend of EV and ICE balanced much more to EV, roughly 2x EV miles versus ICE miles. If you find one with 250+ MPG lifetime, very little gas was ever burned by that car.

If you didn't go off-lease and just picked up a REALLY used Volt based simply on lowest cost from a private seller, you may find ones with lots of EV miles with attendant cell wear - though to GM's great credit, they hugely understated the estimated battery longevity, which essentially all Volts are very likely to exceed without noticeable capacity degradation.

There have been some really useful "before you buy" check lists on this forum posted over the past few years. I'd suggest doing a search for one of those either on this forum or perhaps on google/bing. In any case, an advance "welcome to the club", and best of luck to you in getting your first Volt! You'll find the folks on this forum are SUPER helpful with lending advice on buying new and used Volts, so just keep asking questions and you'll get very detailed answers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, good information I hadn't even thought about looking at the lifetime mpg for a good idea of the wear and tear on the ICE.

My current drive to work is 10 miles each way, I will be able to charge the car at my house, probably will install a 220V outlet for the Volt specifically. My fiance and I test drove a 2013 and loved it, fresh off a lease with only 20k miles on it. Looking around it really seems like you can get some killer deals on the Volt at the moment and obviously that is a major turn on.

Now just trying to find the exact one I want, always the hardest part of buying a used car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts