GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I was mildly interested in a Gen1 Volt but looked the other way because the only place I can charge us at work and the range just wasn't worth it for me. I just signed a 2 year lease on an Optima Hybrid, then noticed the longer range of the Gen2. Looks like I may be leasing a Volt in a couple years. In the meantime I'll hang out and get to know the car a little better.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I don't have a Volt because GM won't allow my dealer to sell and service it (I can't even import a Volt!), but I am a forum member since 2010 when the Chevy Volt was announced. I have posted articles and many comments, so just enjoy the articles and add your comments.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hey folks. I was mildly interested in a Gen1 Volt but looked the other way because the only place I can charge us at work and the range just wasn't worth it for me. I just signed a 2 year lease on an Optima Hybrid, then noticed the longer range of the Gen2. Looks like I may be leasing a Volt in a couple years. In the meantime I'll hang out and get to know the car a little better.

That's some serious homework there ;)

Anyway, this forum is a little crude at times, but overall a great place for lots of knowledge.

I am personally considering the Hyundai Sonata Plug in and Chrysler Pacifica Plug in a few years. The Sonata is to replace the Volt as we are out-growing it and the Pacifica Plug in is to replace our aging Saturn Outlook. Things may change...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

How long is your drive, exactly? Would you have been able to charge on 120 or 240 at work? And for how long?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two jobs, which means three parts of my commute. 25 miles, 13 miles, 23 miles. Charging at work is 240 for 4 hours at $1 per charging session.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Two jobs, which means three parts of my commute. 25 miles, 13 miles, 23 miles. Charging at work is 240 for 4 hours at $1 per charging session.

I understand better now. This puts you in kind of an odd box with that setup from the different drives and no charging at home. I would have probably gone with a hybrid under the same conditions myself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't have a Volt because GM won't allow my dealer to sell and service it (I can't even import a Volt!), ...
I can understand them choosing not to sell or service Volts, but why can't you import one?
or do you mean you can't order one and have GM import it for you?

There are lots of cars they sell in Cali that they don't sell here, but I can go get one if I really want to.

(Sorry for the slight topic diversion)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I can understand them choosing not to sell or service Volts, but why can't you import one?
or do you mean you can't order one and have GM import it for you?

There are lots of cars they sell in Cali that they don't sell here, but I can go get one if I really want to.

(Sorry for the slight topic diversion)
I don't know specifics, but at the very least it's tremendously expensive to bring a car to Puerto Rico. Getting it on a boat is about $1400. There's an excise tax that's a minimum of about $900 for cars and varies by year, make and model up to something like $7500 for some big SUVs. It wouldn't surprise me if the Volt was simply omitted from that list and thus can't come in.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

With relatively cheap gas, at the moment...it's not worth it, if you can't charge at home, as well...:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts