GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally registered after visiting a few times. I have been following the Volt and other EV's since 2010 but I wasn't able to commit to an EV until some life changes were settled. IE divorce then built a new home.
For me the Volt was my top choice as I live in South Central Alaska where "Charging Networks" don't officially exist. However nearly every building and home has outdoor power jacks mainly for plugging in engine heaters for ICE and Diesels cars.
Anyway Volt allows me to drive electrically in town but still take road trips. I had been searching for almost a year for a used '13 or '14. After leaving the Chevy dealer again disappointed cause they had no used or even any new Volts. So I drove 1/4 mile down the road to a used car lot where I previously purchased my daughters car and BAM! There was a Silver Volt Premium. I parked my car to test drive it and that was the last time I drove my 2011 Malibu (Which I loved). That was in January 2016 and I have to say the Volt is everything l researched and more.
The car had 11,500 miles on it, less than 700 in gas mode.
Well I could go on but it's late right now. It's nice to know it's currently in my driveway fully charged and ready for tomorrow.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Volt E=Kris-AK (interesting name choice too)! I definitely think the Alaska EV charging network needs to be expanded. Hopefully we will see that happen in the next few years.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Welcome!

And I would say that if nearly every building and home has electric outlets convenient to parking, that is a pretty good charging network right there. Especially for a Volt, which can do pretty well with 120V charging.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Welcome! There are a couple of Alaskans on the Volt facebook group. One of them purchased his Volt in Washington a few months ago and drove it home via the Al-Can highway. He just put it in Mountain Mode and drove the whole way without incident.

When I was in Fairbanks last year I noticed all the block heater receptacles everywhere. They were almost invariably rated at 20 amps. So it is unfortunate that the Volt can't take advantage of the higher power potential over a 15 amp version. Did see an occasional outdoor 240v receptacle too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts