GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited about the Volt, but now I read that it's going to sell for around 48K? If it sells for around 20k it will be a winner.. at 48k I don't know. I am actually looking at converting a Chevy S10 pickup to an electric hybrid. The same idea as the volt hybrid, I'll use a diesel generator to extend range. I'm looking at an A/C Propulsion system.
This weekend me and my three sons will be out at a few salvage yards looking at S10 pickups to convert.

·
Registered
252 Posts
48k seems higher than what's been posted around here, however, there are no guarantees. Look at the cost of other comparable promised electrics and you will see however, that, in comparison anything under 50k is competitive. I hope GM is able to come out with a lower price point, around 30k would be reasonable, as they will be setting the trend on what these are going to cost. You must also take into account the inflation that is going on now with the US dollar. If you can afford it, put away about 25k worth of gold/silver or other currency and you will be able to afford a volt when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Batteries

Imagine taking a Prius that costs about $20k now and putting $10k more batteries in it. It must cost at least $30k under those conditions, but you are going to get some, all, or even more than that back in fuel savings over the life of the car depending on the price of gasoline. At current prices, it's going to be near break-even over 10 years at $30k. If gasoline prices go up faster than electricity prices (which is likely), then the payback will be shorter or a higher price could be supported. In the long run, the battery prices will very likely drop to $5k or slightly lower and the increased initial costs will be a no-brainer especially as fuel prices continue to rise. I believe that in 10-15 years the economic calculation for the Volt will make it a clear winner (just as the Prius is now). When the Volt first comes out, the economics may be shaky, depending on the gas prices, just as they were when the Prius first came out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Save $

I did some thorough calcs for myself and my family. We will save $2400 per year @ $2.90/gallon. Our electric bill will increase about $48.00/month. I did not account for oil changes, brakes, etc. because these are still unknowns. However, with regenerative braking, no oil, etc. I would expect these costs to also decrease somewhat. There are other things that did figure into my calc.

Total savings for me over 5 years is approximately $11,500.00. Money which goes to a battery maker and NOT the oil companies.
If Bob Lutz's estimate of $35k for the Volt is correct, my cost is $23.5k over five years.

I can easily justify $23k to drive a first gen E-REV and fund a battery maker over the oil companies.

Then...when the car is paid off I'll take that $2400/year smiling all the way to the bank!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts