GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our very own Jeff Cobb has a super interesting article "Chevy Volt and Cruze to Get New Global Platform For 2015" at http://www.hybridcars.com/news/chevy-volt-and-cruze-get-new-global-platform-2015-50452.html

Besides the Volt and Cruze, vehicles expected to use the new global platform include the Chevrolet Equinox and Opel Astra.
The Detroit News is also prominently covering the story at http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120824/AUTO0103/208240333/Chevy-plans-improved-Cruze?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan said the new platform, known internally as D2XX, will replace the existing Delta global platform for compact cars...
Reuters, citing unnamed sources, reported Thursday that the Delta platform — and the platform on which the GMC Terrain and Chevrolet Equinox are built, known as Theta — will be consolidated in favor of the new D2XX platform.
The consolidation of the Theta platform will make a Voltec SUV less expensive for GM to bring to market :)

A detailed list of GM platforms is available at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_platforms

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Kind of makes sense, I'd say by 2015 The Volt with it's new improved Voltec drive train would be looking for a new advanced home, taking it mainstream.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
One of Akerson's big initiatives, maybe the biggest, is to use fewer parts in more cars. This furthers that initiative. But that doesn't mean the Volt won't continue to use the older Delta platform beyond 2014.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've never understood the whole "platform" thing. I mean back years ago cars and trucks used to have frames. It made sense back then when somebody would say "those two cars are built on the same frame." But now that cars are unibody, and each vehicle is designed from the ground up with a specific unibody, what makes two cars share a platform? For example, what does the Chevy Cruze actually have in common with the Volt? I can't think of anything.

·
Super Moderator
6,255 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've never understood the whole "platform" thing. I mean back years ago cars and trucks used to have frames. It made sense back then when somebody would say "those two cars are built on the same frame." But now that cars are unibody, and each vehicle is designed from the ground up with a specific unibody, what makes two cars share a platform? For example, what does the Chevy Cruze actually have in common with the Volt? I can't think of anything.
Platform Sharing from Wikipedia:

Platform sharing is a product development method where different products and the brand attached share the same components. The purpose with platform sharing is to reduce the cost and have a more efficient product development process.

The companies gain on reduced procurement cost by taking advantage of the commonality of the components. However, this also limits their ability to differentiate the products and imposes a risk of losing the tangible uniqueness of the product. The companies have to make a trade-off between reducing their development costs and the degree of differentiation of the products.

A basic definition of a platform in automobiles, from a technical point of view, includes: underbody and suspensions (with axles) — where the underbody is made of front floor, underfloor, engine compartment and frame (reinforcement of underbody). Therefore, key mechanical components that define an automobile platform include:
  • Floorpan, the collective pieces of the large sheet metal stamping that serves as the primary foundation of the monocoque chassis, of most of the structural and mechanical components
  • Front and rear axles and the distance between them - wheelbase
  • Steering mechanism and type of power steering
  • Type of front and rear suspensions
  • Placement and choice of engine and other powertrain components
Further reading

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This link explains the 'whats and whys' of platform sharing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_platform

In a nutshell, the objectives are pretty much the same as for body-on-frame designs - time and cost reduction.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think good examples of platform sharing at an assembly plant, is having the Chevy Camaro and the Buick Regal being built on the same assembly line in Oshawa, ON and then another is the Dodge Challenger and the Charger being built together in Brampton, ON. In the old days, those two vehicles, Camaros and Challengers, likely would have had their own assembly plants and of course, to operate that plant for one vehicle, would be very expensive and less flexibility when the market changes.

In my opinion, this probably explains why I don't like the new Camaro or Challenger as much today, as it appears to be a much larger vehicle and less unique compared to the 'pony' car of yesteryear.

Thank you GM for not playing out this scenario with the Corvette, although the XLR was probably the closest they came to doing that..............the XLR was built at the same plant but on a completely different assembly line with a lot more attention to detail being given...............thus command $100,000 MSRP.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I think good examples of platform sharing at an assembly plant, is having the Chevy Camaro and the Buick Regal being built on the same assembly line in Oshawa, ON and then another is the Dodge Challenger and the Charger being built together in Brampton, ON. In the old days, those two vehicles, Camaros and Challengers, likely would have had their own assembly plants and of course, to operate that plant for one vehicle, would be very expensive and less flexibility when the market changes.
It is interesting. The Challenger and Charger are on the same platform. But the Camaro (Zeta platform) and the Regal (short wheel base Epsilon II platform) are on Very different platforms. GM now has a lot of plants that are Flex lines that can build just about any car regardless of platform.

Also I would like to mention that the Global Delta car platform (Cruze, Volt, etc...) has two SUVish vehicles already built on this plaform. The Chevrolet Orlando [not sold in US but is sold in Canada], And the Opel Zafira. I personally like the Zafira a lot and would love to see a Buick version here in North America with Voltec.

I'm guessing this new platform will be the basis for the 2016 Volt 2.0

·
Registered
923 Posts
Perfect, my lease ends in October of 2015 - just in time for the new model :)

You have to be careful for what you ask for................new model doesn't always mean better.

Look what GM did to the charging system, 2013 8amp vs 12amp 'default'...........a minor detail but no assurance that the new platform will be better than what we have now.

If someone would guarantee that we would get 50mpg CS mileage and increased EV range from the battery and have just as good a ride, or better, then I would definitely be planning for an upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You have to be careful for what you ask for................new model doesn't always mean better.

Look what GM did to the charging system, 2013 8amp vs 12amp 'default'...........a minor detail but no assurance that the new platform will be better than what we have now.

If someone would guarantee that we would get 50mpg CS mileage and increased EV range from the battery and have just as good a ride, or better, then I would definitely be planning for an upgrade in the future.
That's the beauty of the lease, I can keep it if they hose up the new one. With battery technology improving and apparent "breakthroughs" in range, I'm thinking the new Volt can't be worse.

I'm hoping for 50 miles of rated EV range, a tad bit larger (rear seats, my son is 4 and is almost 4ft tall), power front driver's seat, and keep everything else the same! Oh, and 6.6kwh charging would be good, too (2-3 hours for full charge!).

All of my hopes/expectations seem very possible as it has already been stated that the new platform will be slightly larger, power seat is an easy fix, and battery technology has already been touted in the press as being able to be doubled - I'm just asking for 30% :) The charging is also easy, Nissan and Ford did it, so can GM!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Perfect, my lease ends in October of 2015 - just in time for the new model :)
Presumably, however, the 2015 model will appear near the end of 2014. My lease is up November of 2013. I'm considering the possibility of buying my 2011 off lease, but not at the inflated price written into the contract! (As many here know, US Bank apparently took their $7500 rebate to boost the residual value of the car, which decreases the lease price but also bumps the buyout value, which is very pro-bank and anti-consumer.)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
One of Akerson's big initiatives, maybe the biggest, is to use fewer parts in more cars. .

All auto manufacturers are doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Well the article is running with some big speculation. The Cruze is rumored to be on this new platform. The Volt will also likely be on this platform but i'm going to guess it will be 2016.

Just because a new plaform will show up in 2015 doesn't mean all cars will instantly switch to this new platform. GM's short wheel base Epsilon II platform was started with the Opel Insignia in 2008 (later rebadged in 2010 as the Buick Regal in NA). Only now is another new car the 2013 Malibu has just been released on this platform.

So it can take years for a new platform to spread to many models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts