GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Mine was at 71 when I departed for work this morning. The Gen II keeps amazing me everyday.

I suspect that's my MAX as it's based on my DD routine HOME to WORK and RETURN. My commute is 22 miles R/T and is a mix of city and rural highway speeds of 55 MPH but everyone is doing 60+ so it's not a phony baloney route or a mileage run. I work at an USAF base, and as most know they are usually away from things and out in the corn fields of rural America. At least Scott AFB is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This morning, mine was 70. I've done 80 (once), but it's all a function of how you drove the previous charge. The day before my 80, I did a bunch of short errands at mostly low speeds. Yesterday, I did a larger portion of expressway. Drive 25 MPH all day, and the next estimate will be >80.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
It's not impressive.

It's driving SLOW and disruptive.

These threads encourage Slow, Penny Pinching Driving.

Why pinch it so hard, when the Volt is already one of the least expensive cars to fuel?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
As noted, speed is the principal factor for maximizing EV range in warm weather. Also of interest is gas consumption on trips. Yesterday to conserve charge I selected Hold for 65 miles on slow to moderate urban freeways. 47.6 mpg. At 80-85, this drops to around 41.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did not know anyone was getting 80+. That is impressive. I don't see how I can reach that.
These are estimates, not achieved. How far someone actually drove at the end of the day would be far more interesting, and more useful with details of how you drove.

I've never gone over 58 miles in a day, but I've gone 58 and had something like 32% left on the battery meter. . Could I have gone 80 miles that day...? Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it without some bad in the tank too, LOL.

Edit: to my own point, I get these kind of numbers keeping to 60 or less, using L mode, A/C turned off, fan on, weather in the high 70s/low 80s. No passengers or cargo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I did not know anyone was getting 80+. That is impressive. I don't see how I can reach that.
You don’t have to fully deplete your battery regularly to get high full charge range estimates. If you normally drive only 20 miles per day and then recharge, and usually use only 3.6 kWh of power to drive those 20 miles, then your average electric mileage is around 5.555 miles/kWh. When you fully recharge your Gen 2 battery, you have ~14.4 kWh of usable power. The computer range estimate thus says if you drive like you normally do and drive far enough to use all that power, you’ll go 14.4 x 5.555 = 80 miles.

More impressive would be to see the AER on the usage screen at the end of the day, showing you actually did drive 80+ miles on a single charge.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've had the full charge read 85 miles. This was after my 114.0 mile drive on one charge.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You don’t have to fully deplete your battery regularly to get high full charge range estimates. If you normally drive only 20 miles per day and then recharge, and usually use only 3.6 kWh of power to drive those 20 miles, then your average electric mileage is around 5.555 miles/kWh. When you fully recharge your Gen 2 battery, you have ~14.4 kWh of usable power. The computer range estimate thus says if you drive like you normally do and drive far enough to use all that power, you’ll go 14.4 x 5.555 = 80 miles.

More impressive would be to see the AER on the usage screen at the end of the day, showing you actually did drive 80+ miles on a single charge.
Yup. And if you do partial recharge to less than 100%, the range estimator gets confused.

I would be more interested in people reporting their average km/kWh of driven distance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did a couple test runs last week, over a few days, covering my usual routes, starting on a full electric charge, and running on electric until the Volt switched over to ICE. I noted actual mileage, which in both cases was within a mile or two of the expected range:
1. City streets, frontage roads, never over 55 mph, using L: 68 miles
2. Basically same, except for about 15 miles on a freeway at about 68 mph, still using L: 62 miles

Also, when on some short trips of around 90 miles, in Hold mode on the freeway, at around 70 mph, the Volt gets around 48 mpg.

Without doing any hyper-miling, I am completely satisfied with the performance. I've had it since January 2016, with about 6800 miles. In to the dealer only to install Android Auto; I've not spent a single minute, or cent, on maintenance or repair.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had the full charge read 85 miles. This was after my 114.0 mile drive on one charge.
what? 114 miles on a single charge? amazing, must be a lot of down-hills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts