GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Era

http://3d-car-shows.com/2012/chevrolet-volt-ushers-in-a-new-era-of-worry-free-electric-driving/

CHEVROLET VOLT USHERS IN A NEW ERA OF WORRY-FREE ELECTRIC DRIVING

The Chevrolet Volt – voted European Car of the Year 2012 – opens a new chapter in the history of electric motoring. By virtue of its fundamental design, the Volt enables occupants to enjoy the benefits of no-emission driving as well as the performance and practicality normally associated with conventional cars. Whether you are out in the countryside or bogged down in a traffic jam, the Volt will get you home.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
UK Volts and Amperas are RHD versions. I assume the plug receptacle is still on the left side, a minor inconvenience perhaps. I wonder if that will be an issue for Volt owners with tight parking spots.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since standard European outlets are rated for 220V/10A I'm assuming Volts can be charged much faster without the need for a special circuit. Anyone know what the charge time is rated at?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Since standard European outlets are rated for 220V/10A I'm assuming Volts can be charged much faster without the need for a special circuit. Anyone know what the charge time is rated at?
Technically they're all 230V these days rather than 220V, just like the UK is officially 230V rather than 240V; of course you're correct in practice as when they standardised all of Europe to 230V they also increased the tolerances to cover all of the old permitted range so most of the actual voltages didn't change (I seem to get about 238V most days).

They time quoted in all the adverts is 6 hours to charge from a mains socket and 4 hours from a dedicated charger, however I see that the Ampera user manual (I'm buying a Volt but only the Ampera manual seems to be online) says to use reduced charging mode until the circuit has been inspected by an electrician.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts