GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
So viewing the video, it looks like the Spark EV will have a 50 mile range, 20 kwh liquid cooled nanophosphate Li-Ion battery, 0-60 in <8 sec, a freaking 400 lb-ft torque, and the ability to safely handle multiple fast charges daily, and an 8 yr / 100,000 mile warranty.

It's definitely a commuter car with a 50 mile range however. I'd have liked to have seen a 100 mile range... but the fast charge option is a potential win-win: lower cost yet slightly-longer commutes are feasible.

So if we install a grid of quick chargers (preferably solar powered), this car really is a winner.

EDIT: see below, I think the range is going to be more like 62 miles, which means a real-life range easily around 75 miles.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Chevy Spark EV Announcement

I see this as being related to the Chevy Volt...............potential 2nd EV car for any Volt owner!

This announcement still leaves a lot of questions to be answered but seems like the Chevy Spark EV will be in production and available to limited markets by next summer; electric motor drive train assembly will be built in Maryland and presumably battery cells built in Michigan.

http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/volt-blog/18-volt/2745-2014-chevrolet-spark-ev-details-emerge.html

DC FastCharge designed for 80% charge in 20minutes and multiple times per day, presumably without degradation.........8 year warranty on the battery. Liquid cooled & heated battery system.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So viewing the video, it looks like the Spark EV will have a 50 mile range, 20 kwh liquid cooled nanophosphate Li-Ion battery, 0-60 in <8 sec, a freaking 400 lb-ft torque, and the ability to safely handle multiple fast charges daily, and an 8 yr / 100,000 mile warranty.

It's definitely a commuter car with a 50 mile range however. I'd have liked to have seen a 100 mile range... but the fast charge option is a potential win-win: lower cost yet slightly-longer commutes are feasible.

So if we install a grid of quick chargers (preferably solar powered), this car really is a winner.
Where did you see 50 miles? I believe I read an article a while back that they were being tested on a 60 mile loop.
This article said around 80: http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/10/is-chevy-spark-ev-range-around-80-miles/

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
"Like the battery system used in the Chevrolet Volt, the Spark EV’s battery uses an active liquid cooling and heating system. This ensures improved reliability over the life of the vehicle, while providing year-round performance in all climates."

Excellent news! I am interested in a test drive with an eye toward purchase.

·
8,680 Posts

There's something screwy in the numbers. They say a 220V charger can charge it in 7 hours. Even if it's the same charger the Volt uses, that implies a 18 kWh+ usable capacity (which is more aggressive than the Leaf for SoC window it it's a 20 kWh battery.) Maybe it's 20 kWh usable? That would line up with the competition (Focus EV, Leaf) and is inline with how Tesla rates their batteries.

But if it has 18-20 usable kWh, it should go a lot further than 50 miles. With Volt efficiency levels, 18 kWh should be a ~65 mile EPA range and a practical range in the 80 miles range most of the time.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sounds very cool - I do hope Chevy keeps the ~+-15% max charging/min depletion tolerances on the battery usage range. I think this is one of the best decisions they made with the Volt. It's worth sacrificing range for longevity (and cooling "stability"), as some BEV owners have already learned. May make range ~75 miles instead of 100+, but if you can't make the slightly reduced range fit your lifestyle, don't buy an EV (yet).

Plus, if they do this, then working in a ~5 mile "emergency EV crawl" mode will not dig as deep in to the pack.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

I saw 55. 50 was just what was left in the battery. (55max 45min)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There's something screwy in the numbers. They say a 220V charger can charge it in 7 hours. Even if it's the same charger the Volt uses, that implies a 18 kWh+ usable capacity (which is more aggressive than the Leaf for SoC window it it's a 20 kWh battery.) Maybe it's 20 kWh usable? That would line up with the competition (Focus EV, Leaf) and is inline with how Tesla rates their batteries.

But if it has 18-20 usable kWh, it should go a lot further than 50 miles. With Volt efficiency levels, 18 kWh should be a ~65 mile EPA range and a practical range in the 80 miles range most of the time.
Under promise, over deliver?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Under promise, over deliver?
sorry guys, I mislead you. Look at the movie again. The car has 45 - 55 miles range remaining (on the "confidence meter") but has gone just over 12 miles.

So yeah, a 62 mile range would be more likely.

But yes, kdawg, given that a LOT of Volts are getting 48 miles on the promised 35-38 mile range, we could see around 75 mile range in real life from the Spark EV.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you look at what Bob Lutz said a while back about the Volt's 16kWh battery costing GM around $6,000 (and he was probably being generous, given that the replacement Volt batteries go for around $3,000), the 20kWh battery should cost GM only around $7500.

So with a starting gas Spark at around $12,245, less the cost of the gas engine & transmission, plus the cost of the electric powertrain, you could be looking at a ~70 mile range EV for under $20,000, pre tax credit...

GAME changer.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
It sure looks like GM put more than just "California compliance" into the Spark EV, which is a relief.

Hurray for a liquid TMS (Hey, Nissan...) but boo for what is clearly a 3.3kW on-board charger (7hrs on 240).

I'm guessing this thing will be well under $20,000 after credits are factored in.

-Drew

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
"Like the battery system used in the Chevrolet Volt, the Spark EV’s battery uses an active liquid cooling and heating system. This ensures improved reliability over the life of the vehicle, while providing year-round performance in all climates."
This ensures that the Spark won't have the battery life problems of the Leaf. It is great that G.M. is doing it right.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Keep in mind:

1. The batteries should provide a ton of power
2. It's a CARB compliance vehicle
3. It's range is going to suck
4. It's pack will lose capacity just like every other battery pack

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
"The Spark EV team was able to leverage expertise gained on the groundbreaking Chevrolet Volt program and uses many of the same components and systems. More than 75 percent of the propulsion system components are from the Volt and GM’s hybrid truck programs."

So based on Reuters accounting methods, this will mean GM will be losing even more money (somehow) on its Volt R&D investment, haha.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Will there be a "gm-spark-ev.com" forum soon?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts