GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was having my car scheduled for the airbag inspection bulletin, the service advisor notified me that he just received a notice from GM concerning replacement 110 v chargers. He confirmed that my vin was eligible and he ordered a new charger "cord" as they call it for me. Looks like there are availability issues on this initial supply, but hopefully it will be sorted out soon. I was told that I had to bring in my old unit to turn in when I pick up the new charger. I will keep you all posted once I receive the call that it's in ; )

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Major scoop. Definitely let us know. Do you have a '11 or '12? I wonder what the VIN range includes?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if it's just upgraded components (my bet) or if there are any aesthetic/functionality differences. I guess that explains the national hold on the 110v EVSEs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi to all
I have the same story than the original poster: There is a recall from march 15 on the charger cord.
The dealer is waiting for the replacement part.

My Volt is a 2011, VIN: B-2653

Francois

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Excellent news. I have been struggling with mine and have an appointment to have it looked into on Wednesday. Thanks for the info. Ray

·
Registered
962 Posts
I just called my dealer and my VIN's involved with the charge cord recall too. Figured it was worth mentioning since mine is the highest VIN in the thread that we know is involved so far. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't know about the charger cord recall but was complaining about my charger cord. The dealer ordered me a replacement and it came in today. My thoughts are that its the updated cord. This was at the same time they were ordering battery recall parts.

·
8,680 Posts
I didn't know about the charger cord recall but was complaining about my charger cord. The dealer ordered me a replacement and it came in today. My thoughts are that its the updated cord. This was at the same time they were ordering battery recall parts.
Is there any visible difference in this new cord you got?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmmm. Hadn't expected that for our VIN range (I'm C2063). I knew there were some issues with 2011 cords, but hadn't heard anything with the 2012s. That's great if they're being proactive though.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
IMHO, GM should replace them all, its a horrible design internally and the use of 16awg end to end is just down right risky. I suspect GM finally opened some up and had GM internal designers reviewing it, and with those results realized it presents to much of a risk, last thing gm needs is having a charger start a fire

·
Registered
434 Posts
My Voltec Charger has been working just fine since I took delivery in December 2010. I've been watching the plug and the cord temps, but no issues at all. The input cord does get warm, but not what I would call hot. The plug stays cool if on the extension cord or plugged directly into my GFCI outlet, but gets pretty warm when plugged into my Kill-o-watt meter. I'd be interested in seeing the recall s/n's if available.

Volt 63

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have noticed that in this warmer weather, the 16 gage 120 plug end had been getting very warm, almost hot. I will be calling my dealer this week for an upgrade!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had mine replaced, I have used it maybe three times (usually use 240v). I measure the temp with a thermocouple inside the back cover where the wire goes in (between the plate that attaches to the wall and the unit) and it was interesting:

It reached 140F, that pic was right after I unplugged it from the wall. Note the caribiner's I use to hang the unit so there is no stress on the cord. The dealer had told me to do that when I picked up this replacement charger to prevent the strain reliefs getting broken. I maybe used it 5x without the caribiners, and they still broke, hence one reason for the replacement. I got mine back in Dec or Jan I think, so maybe mine is the new one. But it still gets hot. It would be great if they do/did make it better.

Edit to add it was 70F outside when I took the measurement.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just had mine replaced around march 1st. Date is 1266048, catalog 2280-9287. Hope to find out if this is the new one or not. It doesn't look much different, but s/n is much higher than my original.

I did notice that this will trip and reset up to 3 times with low voltage. I believe my old one would only trip once and then go flashing two red lights.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
anyone who thinks they might have a new type charger ; un-wind the cable and sent in a picture of the tag covered by the cable.

The unit I got 2 weeks ago had a Date stamp of 1244066 part number 2280-9287

ALSO note it is not UL but tested by Intertek - I am going to post a link to video of their testing of our charger
the film shows the cord being stress tested and having it run over by a car wheel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
3,600 Posts
I wonder what the VIN range includes?
I do not have a VIN breakdown with me right now, but if you would like, I can do a quick VIN scan and see if your Volt is included. If anyone else is interested, send me a PM and I can check it out for you.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Both of mine show up according to my local dealer.

·
1,308 Posts
I just replaced the plug this past weekend on my 15 month old 120V charge cord. I noticed it was a bit swollen around the plug blades and a small amount of black goo from the plug plastic had either melted or chemically broken down over time and contaminated the blades. The old plug always ran warm along with the short cable between the plug and EVSE box but it was not hot enough that I thought it was dangerous. I had checked and removed the plug periodically during the last year and had not noticed any damage until just now. The new $6 replacement plug I got at the hardware store now runs cold and the short cable is now only the slightest bit warm.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts