GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made the switch to the volt this weekend. Can't wait to take delivery. I am a bit of a nut about customizing my cars . So waiting for them to install new 17" rims tint and a custom stereo with a real subwoofer and amp the Bose system just would not work for me . And iam disabled so I need hand controls. But hope fully they have done in a week also need the shorter air dam in front so not to hit my driveway. But here's my ? Iam looking for a custom grill i goggle it and saw one I love in dub magazine but can't find were I could purchase it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

This is a render of a car they never modified and Chevy never produced. It's a model GM showed at car shows prior to production, and the production car was different in several ways.

To have this grille on your car you would probably have to start with a custom bumper fascia, or at least do some cutting on the OEM.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
Here is my white diamond tricoat with the grill dipped in black. I've thought about masking the two white stripes and dipping that in black too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The beauty of plastidip is that if you want to change it, you can just dip right over it or peel it off and start over.

Next, I'm thinking pure purple for the thin chrome pieces under the side windows and white wheels with pearlizer.

I've been promising DogMom that I'll eventually dip the entire car in a deep dark purple pearl, but then my son bought himself a fixer upper house and we've been spending every waking moment painting and moving… so no full car dip for me. The good news is that the house has a 2 car deep, 5 car wide garage in the back, so once he's unpacked all the stuff we just threw in there, I'll have a great place to dip my car (better than my measly 2 car garage. I'm kicking myself for cutting the original 3 car garage plans down to 2, but we were on a budget).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
There are some good plasti dips out there and few rim swaps, but that's about it.

The Volt doesn't attract much of a modder community that I can tell. Never seen many aftermarket parts on eBay or JC Whitney or whatnot. There was one post about a guy who tossed on a lot of stuff that was oddly strange -- like customer exhaust pipes and a tachometer. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?154577-2012-Blue-Volt-with-Sunroof

I know you know this, but that kind of modding absolutely tanks the trade-in value.

Frankly, the Volt is so unique that most people have never seen one. They have no idea if it's stock or not -- which is cool because you can use your cash for other non-car stuff and still be "unique." 99.99% of people would see the chrome grill and think it was aftermarket. That much chrome absolutely looks different than most cars these days.

There are a number of subwoofer upgrades floating around. Not sure how you are going to add a custom stereo unit with all the other stuff being routed though it. I think you would be first, if successful. You might check that out before some guy goes cutting into the dash to hack in the Alpine.

Perhaps you could try Plugless charging or something? That might bring in the cool factor. Anyone who can get in and out of a Volt won't have an disability issue with plugging in, but it might help to not have a cord on the ground if you need wheels to move about. It's cool anyway!

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
My mods have been mod-est. Electric, a rock screen (the original VoltScreen), and painted calipers. Caliper covers are available, but paint satisfies me.

ElectricVoltBowTie.jpg VOLT Radiator Protection Screen Intake Grill-front.jpg Caliper Paint.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts