GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Honda seems to have thrown down the gauntlet this year with the new Civic hatch. It has all the nice safety features like adaptive cruise in all models, even the base. All models now have a 1.5L turbo 175hp. With a CVT, it delivers 6.6 sec 0-60, and also 40+MPG. Pretty amazing. Oh... and it's barely over 20k. This is worth a look. I still want a Volt, but this has to prompt GM to do something in this segment.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
No plug. No sale.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sorry, but the new C,ivic, along with the Prius hybrid, get my vote for the worst styling mush mash of any new car on the market. That is what happens when Hyundai and Kia catch the Japanese big 3 off guard and the boss instructs everyone in design to "make it look like an Elantra"..... I will admit that the Gen 2 Volt gets a few cues from Elantra too, but at least the result is the best of that car and the old Civic, which if nothing else was a clean and beautiful design. The irony, in the case of Civic, is that Hyundai and Kia current models ditch most of the edgy, sculpted look in favor of a classically clean design. So, I would never buy a new Civic for its design, but lacking the electric experience, it is a lot of old tech and you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I seriously doubt that Civic is cross-shopped against Volt. When I got mine, I was cross-shopping other $43k cars like a loaded Camaro or Charger.

A buzzy eco-box is not my idea of a classy ride.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Shouldn't this be posted over on the Cruze Forum? Not sure how the Civic is in any way comparable to a Volt and I doubt folks will be cross shopping these vehicles.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Shouldn't this be posted over on the Cruze Forum? Not sure how the Civic is in any way comparable to a Volt and I doubt folks will be cross shopping these vehicles.
Agreed, Chevy just released the Cruze Hatchback which would be the closest competitor to the Civic along with Mazda 3 Hatch, Focus Hatch, iM/Corolla Hatch. I wouldn't throw the Volt in with this group.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Seeing the new imports remind me of Donald Trump's wives. They are foreign and very pretty, but have no value inside, copy the features of American brands, and fall apart after several years.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
yes, it starts at $20k, but you aren't getting all the safety features unless you move up to one of the top trim lines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
... 1.5L turbo 175hp. With a CVT, it delivers 6.6 sec 0-60, and also 40+MPG. ....
That would definitely be competition for the Volt, IF YOU NEVER PLUGGED THE VOLT IN!

In my daily commute, I did the last 3000 miles on 0.7 gallons. A wee bit better than 40 mpg.

Mine cost me $15K and feels and drives like new.

So far I am not regretting missing out on the Civic.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
New competition for the Volt. The new 2017 Honda Civic hatchback. wow...

I shopped against the Civic. I compared new and used Civics to a used Volt. I was looking for a practical, economical commuter car that can occasionally carry the family. My last car was a Civic.

·
2,356 Posts
My last car was a Civic as well. My niece is driving it now. I couldn't fault anyone for buying one. The new Civic hatch looks great.

All potential commuter cars are cross-shopped, but the Volt and other plug-ins are a step up from economy cars. Not everyone appreciates this.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
It takes exceptional circumstances to save money with a plug-in over a regular compact, especially a plug-in hybrid. Plug-ins will sell as the price comes down because they provide a better ownership experience.

The real thing to take away from the new Civic is that advanced driver assistance is quickly working its way down the mainstream segment and that's good for everyone. Also, the hatchback will finally be available in the USA.

(I had no problem get 40mpg in my 2008 Civic, BTW. Steady, mindful driving made it pretty easy).

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
I missed the part about how many battery miles miles the Honda delivers. 50? 60?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think what nearly all journalists miss with plug in vehicles is not that many people cross shop. They are an entirely new class of vehicle. Sure, there are those who will, but most people won't go unplugged once they have their first hit. The trick now is getting enough different plug in vehicles to cover various needs.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
How far does it go burning no gas? My Gen 1 will do 40mpg and my current lifetime mpg is 174 mpg. Not that much competition for me, and I'm only comparing to Gen 1.

Sounds pretty good, but I'm not interested.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry, but the new C,ivic, along with the Prius hybrid, get my vote for the worst styling mush mash of any new car on the market.

The 2017 Civic and Prius are deeply fugly cars -- and this is coming from the owner of a Nissan Leaf.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I do not like the looks of the Civic hatchback, but the sedan version looks great to me. Too bad about the hatch because it is practical.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would put a 6.6s ICE car up against a Volt in real world urban driving any day of the week. On paper the 120kW (actual G2 output) Volt should be at a disadvantage. In real world the driving the Volt has the edge. EV powertrains punch above their class at urban speeds and situations.

The coolest feature of a Volt is the electromotive powertrain. It is a luxury feature. The Honda Civic and PiP both come up short in that aspect, and a powerful electric response is not an available option in them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My cost of electricity is 11.38c/kwh. There is some savings in using electricity, but not much. Compared to that little turbo in the civic, the fuel savings per year are probably only going to be a few hundred bucks, max. Unless you have some philosophical reason against burning gas, there isn't much of an economic advantage. I like the quiet ride and the smooth acceleration of the Volt, but not enough to pay an extra 8 thousand.

On the Civic, Honda sense is standard. Even on the Base.... So I could get a Civic EX with adaptive cruse control without having to blow thousands on a luxury trim level... That's a big part of what is keeping me from getting a Volt. An ACC Civic with apple CarPlay, android blah blah blah is only $23k and change. It's hard to ignore. I guess I should go drive one.

I think If I can get about 6K off a Volt with ACC, I can get within $2500-$3000 or so of a comparable Civic Hatch with ACC. Since the Volt has leather, and a few other nice things, I could see paying that. If GM would just come out with their 20% off sales again, this would be an easy choice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The real thing to take away from the new Civic is that advanced driver assistance is quickly working its way down the mainstream segment and that's good for everyone. Also, the hatchback will finally be available in the USA.

(I had no problem get 40mpg in my 2008 Civic, BTW. Steady, mindful driving made it pretty easy).
Bingo. I've been looking everywhere for affordable ACC, and it usually is only found on top trim levels, forcing people to buy all kinds of luxury options to get it. The Civic is the first car I've found where it is standard. (and the Prius, but only on the Three or higher)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts