GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my new 2017 Chevy Volt from Martin Chevrolet in Torrance, CA, on July 11, 2016. 831 miles later the battery won't charge and it's been in the shop since July 19. Service has given four different attempted fixes for the electrical system, which won't charge the battery. The final dx is a bad "fuse," which is "back ordered nationwide" from GM and for which they have no date at which it will be ready.

Since it's back ordered nationwide according to Martin Chevrolet, it sounds like I'm not the only person who has bought a new Volt with a non-functioning battery.

I would definitely not buy this car and am seeking a refund. It has been a massive disappointment dealing with service, and the dealership has set new levels of poor customer service. The GM, John Schmitt, told me through a sales manager when I asked for a replacement, that "We're not in the business of buying used cars."

Apparently they're not in the business of selling ones that work, either. Avoid this dealer and vehicle.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
A couple weeks in the shop when a part is not in stock seems to be about normal for a low volume car like the Volt. However, "back ordered nationwide" simply means they have none in stock, not that every 2017 has a problem that needs this part.

Did they give you a part number?

Certainly it's a let-down to have a new car need a part, but that's what warranties are for. Extrapolating from your case that all the 2017's have this issue may be a stretch. Especially since we have many members with 2017's that are happily driving the car.

I'm sure onece the part arrives you'll be on the road and a happy camper again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2017 defective Volt

No potential Volt buyer would purchase a vehicle that is indefinitely in the shop after one week. It's not a "let-down" and the car doesn't "need a new part."

I was sold a vehicle with the understanding that it was fit for the purpose it was sold; breakdown with an unknown period in the shop is not the purpose for which I bought it or for which it was sold.

Moreover, multiple attempts to repair the problem indicate that there are likely multiple issues with the vehicle. Finally, of course, try injecting "Your car may be in the shop out of commission indefinitely a week after you buy it" and see what that does for sales.

Lastly, the fact that the part is unavailable nationwide means precisely that it's not a local problem. The part is in demand, by definition, because lots of cars other than mine have the same breakdown. This is known as a defect. Once the part arrives I'll be waiting for the next part of this complex vehicle to break down.

Keep in mind that after 152,000 miles my Toyota Prius had one battery problem (battery died after 135k) and it was replaced free of charge in ONE DAY. Also, the service people at Martin Chevrolet don't appear to really know what the problem was and I was told that a "GM engineer" is looking into it.

I would have never purchased this car knowing that this was going to happen, and although I'm sure there are many satisfied Volt owners, I'm not one of them, and I encourage any and all prospective buyers to:

1) Do a thorough job of comparing the Volt with its competition.
2) Avoid Martin Chevrolet in Torrance if you do decide to buy the Volt.

PS: You may think that two weeks is normal, but in California that's halfway to the 30-day time limit for a vehicle qualifying as a lemon under the Beverly-Song Act, entitling the buyer to replacement, or full refund, and attorney fees.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You are already this mad and they have only had the car what? 4 business days?

It sucks, but to be this mad in that short of a time sounds a bit unreasonable on your part. When my RX8 got broken into years ago, it was in the shop over a month simply waiting on glass to arrive for the rear window.

I have almost 2500 trouble free miles on my 2017 volt and have loved every minute of it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Not always, but often enough, the attitude of customer service people is a reflection of the customer's attitude. An early failure can happen with any car, any electrical/electronic device. Call the Volt Advisor team for assistance as suggested above. Chill and look forward to many happy miles with your Volt.

KNS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Highly unfortunate occurrence. But, being a Richard Head by reacting, not responding with logic.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I did not buy at Martin (they wouldn't match other dealers) but my car was there for service for 16 days due to the "shift to park" issue...Had a good chat with the GM who agreed to pay one month of my lease payment...With that being said, that's why I love leasing, never need to worry about service ripping you off...

To the OP, you are the legal owner of the car, it's up to the dealership to decide to purchase it back from you which is extremely rare...You can plead your case to GM corporate but I don't think they'll do anything because in everyone's eyes, once the fuse comes in, the car will be fixed...There are lemon laws but it doesn't sound like you'd yet qualify for it and if you go that route you still may need to take the dealer to court to get your refund/replacement...Most lawyers offer free consultations...

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
This kind of problem can happen to any car. I am a member of several vehicle forums, and I've seen similar problems in all of them.
National Back order in no way means it is a common problem. It only means that they aren't producing enough to build up stock outside the factory. Considering you are the FIRST person to post this problem, I would say it's not common.

4 days at the dealer is nothing. You aren't going to get them to buy it back after a week. They should be providing you with a loaner or rental car though.

If it truly is a problem, that's what lemon laws are for. However, in most states they don't take effect for 30 days. So sit back and take a chill pill. Document everything and keep us up to date on the status.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did they give you a loaner car?
If so, let it play out.
If it takes more than (2) weeks ask for Lease Payment compensation.
That is something they can easily get approved by GM.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If it continues for more than a couple of weeks, it sounds like it may be time to get a lemon law attorney involved...

Apparently they're not in the business of selling ones that work, either. Avoid this dealer and vehicle.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Did they give you a loaner car?
If so, let it play out.
If it takes more than (2) weeks ask for Lease Payment compensation.
That is something they can easily get approved by GM.
The first two OP words were "I bought" so I it would appear they didn't lease but maybe they financed yet I haven't heard of anyone reporting that GM is reimbursing a monthly payment...Overall odd that a fuse is on backorder; others had reported the service dept stating they were able to get parts directly from the assembly line...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had an AMG blow an engine and it took (2) months to get an engine sent over from Germany.
I got a Loaner Car & (2) months "Lease Payment" compensation.
I was not leasing and owned the car, so I don't think it matters.
I did not even ask for the compensation, my advisor just offered it.
Naturally I kicked some of that back to him as a tip.

I believe this is something that can be done, when repairs take a long time.
Should be easy for GM, since a Volt Lease Payment is only 1/3 of an AMG.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it continues for more than a couple of weeks, it sounds like it may be time to get a lemon law attorney involved...
The OP is in California so the lemon law does not kick in until a cumulative 30 days of out-of-service for the same issue.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
All limited edition cars have some sort of backorder issue. Buy a Cruze or Camry or F150 next time. Don't buy a Corvette, ELR, or HellCat.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
A couple weeks in the shop when a part is not in stock seems to be about normal for a low volume car like the Volt. However, "back ordered nationwide" simply means they have none in stock, not that every 2017 has a problem that needs this part.
What he said....

I had to have a door replaced after a parking lot accident, and suffered the same wait for the part. This does not mean all doors on the Chevy Volts are bad. It simply means this repair part has not been stocked by dealers yet.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Overall odd that a fuse is on backorder
The OP labeled it a "fuse". It would not take that as gospel. No part name or number were given. Dealers often provide a loaner when stuff like this happens on a new car.

The OP is upset and that's understandable. No one wants their new car in the shop. But stuff happens, life is not perfect. Getting yourself all worked up about a part replacement does no one any good. Plus we have seen this story before. The part arrives, the car is fixed, the problem is gone and the driver happy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hope the OP provides some updates over time and that the dealer provided some goodwill support of some kind like a loaner. Sometimes posts like this never get an update which is disappointing and makes folks wonder. Not that this applies to this case, but for those with out of warranty repairs, GM offered lots of goodwill money to dealers a few years ago to ensure customers are happy. It goes a long way when a dealer charges nothing for a repair when they could take someone to the cleaners....then there are the mythical stories of Toyota dealers replacing engines without even telling the customer!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not knowing the OP or any background I'm willing to let him blow off some steam.

Who knows, this may be his first big ticket purchase ever and I know how badly I'd have freaked if my first new car had failed out of the gate.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts