GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just leased a new 2014 Volt last Friday night and took it for a shakeout ride the next day. At about the 40-mile mark, when the ICE kicked in, I began to notice an industrial, acrid odor (like a car fire). We were on the highway in stop-and-go traffic (on the Cross Bronx Expressway headed to the GWB), with quite a few semi-trailer trucks, so I thought one of them might be the source of the harsh odor (when in doubt, blame the fire-breathing, diesel-belching rigs, right)?

But the smell stayed with us for several minutes before dissipating, and I began to worry that maybe it was our brand new Volt (not exactly the new car smell I was expecting)! Later that day, after recharging for a few hours, we drove far enough so that the ICE had to power back on again. Only this time, no smell.

The vehicle had only 4.1 miles on it at the dealer; is it possible that the EMM and FMM never took place while the car sat on the lot, and that the smell was a result of old fuel burnoff (or something else burned that never was used before then)?

BTW - this forum is an amazing resource, and the community is incredibly knowledgeable and supportive. Until today, I've only been lurking, but that's because I wasn't a driver until a few days ago and didn't have any experience to relate. That said, the discussions are fascinating, and the FAQs are a big help.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Many users have reported this the first time ICE ran. Apparently, there are a bunch of oils and other coatings that burn off during the first ICE run. Subsequent runs should be OK.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I smelled the same thing for the first 200-300 miles or so of using the ICE, especially when it was working hard going up the foothills around here at 75 mph.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The smell is likely the result of the engine breaking in. You don't notice it in most cars, because they've already been run for a while. If it doesn't go away after you get a couple hours on the engine, then you may have a problem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Same story here, i had the same worries as you do but , now, 2 years later, nothing wrong with the engine, no leaks, nothing.
Enjoy your car. Did you register on voltstats.net yet?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Virtually all new engines, on all new vehicles give off an odor at first. Totally normal.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Alto Voltaggio, congratulations on your acquisition of the best small sedan on the market. In my view...

as others have noted, your exhaust system parts each have 2-3 labels on them including barcodes and part numbers which have to burn off, on most cars this happens at the factory, but not on the Volt.

Also, I noticed some odors each time the generator kicked in for several weeks, the "burning rubber" smell disappeard quickly, (I attribute this to the exhaust pipe supports, but there was a "oil spray" smell for a few weeks. (again I assume this was parts lables' adhesive.) 8 months later- no worries.

you mentioned EMM and FMM. EMM only occurs after 6 weeks with no Generator engine operations. FMM is more complicated, but won't happen unless you don't use all your fuel within a 6-10 month period. The Volt calculates the average age of the gas in the tank and runs FMM to keep the average below a target value (1 year I think).

I offer some unsolicited advice to new volt owners- you can read it in this thread from yesterday- others here have better ideas on some of these talking points:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?115489-New-Volt-Owner&p=1581337#post1581337

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 38K in, and I still perceive the smell periodically (5+K miles on the generator). I've spent a bunch of time at the Chevy dealor on Capitol Expressway in San Jose, and they haven't been able to figure out what causes the smell. I do think it's lessened over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I registered with Volt Stats; just waiting for the technical difficulties to resolve so that I can begin the long, slow climb up the leader board (j/k - I have no chance! After reading about Ari C's recent exploits - 81 miles on a single charge! - I think I'll just enjoy the ride).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts