GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planned to join this forum years earlier as I have some interesting stuff to share, primarily vinyl wrap and plastidip related :) I tried both to my previous 2018 volt.

But now I really need some help with my new 2019 volt. I traded in my 2018 for a new 2019 about a month ago and I noticed some weird stuff the next sunny day after the delivery :(

My 2018 was in a perfect condition, not a single micro scratch. I was very happy with it, zero issues on delivery. Everything is different with this 2019...

1) Exactly half of the car was heavily compounded at the dealership which left heavy marring and swirl marks. Dealer promised to fix it. After first attempt it gotten even worse so they offered another detailer who will definitely fix it I just need to wait (its been almost 2 weeks).

2) Car has microdot GLOBALi tags installed in car and also nitrogen filled tires + green caps (which is rare in Quebec). I didn't receive any microdot related paperwork.
First time dealer said that microdot is not recognized in Quebec and after I confirmed with my insurer that it is actually recognized, the dealer said that they have no paperwork and I should call GLOBALi and get the paperwork from them. Dealer explained that it might have been installed by another dealership which sold them this NEW car.

3) I didn't get the second key fob, the dealer apologized that they lost it and said that they will give me a new one next week.

4) Front bumper was scuffed on the passenger side and then polished. I can see and feel deep scratches through the clear coat.

5) Driver's side door sill has multiple (5-7) deep scratches in it, some through the clear coat down to the primer (white compound). Dealer said that delivery guy scratched the door sill.

6) I just realized that I can get "Ignition Cycle Counter" from ODBII (ECU). According to "Car Scanner" logs (I also compared to my google maps history) It had 50-75 ignition cycles registered when I picket up the car. Right now after one month it has 150 ignitions cycles registered and 850km on odometer. Personally I made about 600km on it, 250km was justified by dealer as that's how much it took to deliver it to my delaership.
Is 50 ignition cycles considered normal for a new car?

If I would get only 1-2 things from this list I wouldn't care much. But as I add all these problems together it makes me think that I didn't get what I paid for and that something is wrong here.

Am I just being paranoid? What would you recommend in this situation?

To make things feel worse, dealer didn't tell me a single word about new federal EV incentive. If I would wait 2 more weeks till May 1st I could get $4000 rebate :( If I would only know something about it...

First video after I washed off wax and noticed holographic marks on the paint and scuffed front bumper: youtu.be/tZtoajTW-Q8

microdot.jpg 03.jpg 01.jpg rear_bumper.jpg

Thank you so much for this great forum, and thank you for all your help.
I am very disappointed and stressed because of this situation :C

P.S. How can I support this forum/community? Can I donate through PayPal?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Man. What a screwing!

I flipped our '17 for a '19 at Medved Chevy in Denver, and they delayed delivery to repair a "delivery scratch" on the driver door. After I took delivery on a dark and snowy day, drove 300 miles to my home base and washed the Volt a few days later, I found three scratches on the roof that were not visible except in bright sunlight. I asked Medved for relief, and they graciously said that if I brought the vehicle back (600 mile roundtrip) they'd fix it while I cooled my heels in a motel.

I explained the logistical difficulties with their proposal, and asked for them to pick up the cost of a local repair. The salesman gave me the old "I'll have to check with the Manager" BS, and and came back with the expected response, "He said that you had an opportunity to inspect the car before accepting delivery, so we decline any responsibility."

I have never experienced such a disappointing exchange with a dealer, but am aware that it's just been dumb luck. After reading about your abuse, I feel blessed with my small problem. The roof scratches were nicely buffed out and the cost was less than $300.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
One question - why the heck did you do this trade?

·
Registered
212 Posts
My guess on your car is that it came from Ontario.
I had heard that in California they were discounting the 19's by up to 20%. So, I tried to upgrade to a new 19 Premium using my 17 LT for a trade. I thought that the ACC, faster charging and a few other items might be good for me to have. Took the car for a drive - I liked it a lot & thought the update would make sense and was willing to go up $20 K for the two years and model change. The car had almost no gas in it and ZERO charge. Not sure how long it had been sitting at the dealers - then on the test drive, the "check engine" light came on. Long story short, they wanted well over $20K including the $5K gov. rebate. They wasted about 2 hours of my time playing their game even though I had told them my top dollar number when I went in. /rant
No deal as they were not giving ANY discount. Don't know if I can even buy/trade in California / USA.
Guess I will be sticking to the 17 as it is a good vehicle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I fear you are never going to be truly happy with this car . . . . and I'm not sure what you can do to make them take it back, but that's where I would be looking if I were you - It looks like you got the 'problem hand me down' which has probably passed thru more than one dealer looking for a home and no doubt in my mind, the dealer who sold it to you got it cheap because it has so many problems . . . . and of course, they didn't mention anything to you, nor did they offer you a discount for taking a lemon off their hands

Looking back, I bet you wish you'd kept your perfect '18, huh?

I have no personal expertise to share because I only buy cars I truly love and when I find one, I never 'trade up' for something else a year or two or even five years later - I usually keep what I buy for 8 or 10 years at least . . . . I kept my '94 Miata for 20 years!

Don

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
What can you do? Never accept a car from a dealer that has issues until they have been fixed. Once you sign and pay, good luck. You are now at the mercy of the dealer. A good dealer will do the right thing, but a bad dealer you will need to chase, chase, chase, and possibly sue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoa thank you all for support!

One more question, do you see that rear bumper picture in attachments? Is this difference is normal? I can barely see the difference in sunlight.
Also, what do you guys think, 50-75 ignition cycles is too many for a new car?

JD4JC, In my case, dealer agreed to fix swirl marks and minor scratches. We'll see how it goes. Their first attempt completely failed.

obermd, I wanted the new 19 with ACC :( Plus it was a good time for me to get a new car. I planned to keep the new 19 for at least 5 years.

Manitoba Keith, They added $10K CAD on top of my credit for this trade in.

Don M, You are right, I regret it. But I also like all the new small upgrades in 2019, I like ACC very much, the new drivers seat is super comfortable etc.. They even installed the rear camera at a different angle so it doesn't get dirty as in my 2018.
At the same time it feels like they lied to me and also I didn't get any federal rebate which drives me nuts tbh. If they would tell me about new federal incentive I would just wait 2 weeks and get 5K off! Crazy...
It looks like the new car has only cosmetic problems with the paint. Although it is a big one for me...

Steverino, This time I was looking for any imperfections on delivery... However, they have a bit dim light :/ (yeah nice one) and the car was well waxed so I couldn't see any holograms. Only the next day under the bright sunlight I could see that something is not right. I washed it with wax stripping soap and WHOA! It looked so messed up that it shocked me so I started looking for other issues.
It is weird that they compounded only half of the car, the driver's side. On my first video you can even see a difference between passenger and driver's side of the hood!
I feel as bad as you could imagine. I can't stop blaming myself for such a efffup

Something tells me that suing them would cost me half of my car lol.
I have no clue where to start :(
The next thing on my list is to call GLOBALi microdot and ask them why it was installed on my car, when and where...
I will do that tomorrow before going to dealer, they promised me to get a new second key fob.

If you don't mind, I'll just keep updating this thread as a reminder to myself and as a good lesson to others.
Never trust stealerships.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would not worry about how many starts are on the car. Total mileage is acceptable, move on with this one.

The Microdot thing is interesting, but again, I wouldn't be concerned with this either if it were me.

As far as the exterior complaints go, sort of looks like an issue in the pics, a little hard to tell without being there. But seems like this would be easily addressed. So get some attention here to your satisfaiction, and move on, and enjoy your new car, hopefully as much as you did your 18.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts