GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on the Volt from veteran owners. As a owner of a Infiniti and numerous other imports over the years my life has been trouble free. I test drove a volt several months ago that did not have a charge, the sales person said "for some reason it was not charging". This month I test drove a volt that was charged but the gauge read that it needed charging? Reviews on the Volt are great but some have problems.

Reading all of the positive owner reviews I have decided to order a Volt, but after pouring through the forums there appears to be several very unhappy owners and quite a few people have had Volts towed; I have never had a car towed in my life. Years ago I read great thing about laser eye surgery, yes like the Volt there were a few complaints, I did my research got several opinions did the surgery and I found there were many more unhappy people than originally disclosed, myself being one of them; I do not want to find this the case with a new car purchase.

I am looking for some honest advice from Volt owners on their experience and issues they are having as I am considering canceling my Volt order. :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am looking for some honest advice from Volt owners on their experience and issues they are having as I am considering canceling my Volt order. :confused:

Thanks
I had an issue or two with my 2011 Volt, but after the replacement was done, I have had no problems at all. Even when I had my issue, I did not have to have it towed or anything. I have actually been very impressed with the costomer service of GM/OnStar and even the dealership in AR. I do not think you can go wrong with Volt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honest advice: I love my Volt, but my first month of ownership had some hassles, including a tow. The majority of owners on this site haven't had these problems, but a minority have discharged the 12 V battery and a smaller minority (like myself) have had a failure that caused the traction battery to be disconnected. You very likely won't have any problems with the Volt you ordered, but there's no guarantees (only warranties). For the folks that have had major problems, the competence of their dealer seems to have a lot to do with whether they come out satisfied on the other end.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One of the things I like about this forum is that you will definitely see just about any feedback out there (good and bad), not just the cheerleaders. I think from the broadest, inclusive polls out there (like the Consumer Reports official survey showed - #1 rating), you'll find that Volt owners are overall incredibly satisfied. No car is absolutely perfect, but the "problem" rate with the Volt has to be small in compared to just about everything else out there. And I can say that if you do have ANY problems whatsoever, GM is taking the "satisfy the customer first and ask questions later" approach. I don't know if this is a new philosophy for them, but it is impressive.

I traded in my Acura TL, and definitely feel like I've upgraded. I did have a "check engine" light come on once recently then clear, and took it to the dealer out of caution. They contacted GM engineers to review. It turned out basically to be a transient without any action necessary. The car never performed any differently, and has been perfect since then as well. My nearly 9,000 miles on the car have been awesome, and it did not take me long to make the decision that I won't be buying gas-only cars anymore in the future (the Volt is just too quiet, smooth, peppy, and fun to drive).

My opinion and experience: GM has thrown a ton of effort and world-class engineering into this vehicle. They mean it, and they've done it. I usually never talk about products with this much enthusiasm, but this thing just works! So much fun.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I test drove a volt several months ago that did not have a charge, the sales person said "for some reason it was not charging". This month I test drove a volt that was charged but the gauge read that it needed charging?
There's a large number of salespeople who know next-to-nothing about this car. "For some reason it was not charging" probably meant, "we're too lazy to plug it in." I think the driver's display always says to plug in to charge when the car is powered down. Is that what you meant by the gauge reading that the Volt you drove needed charging?

·
8,680 Posts
Mine has been completely problem free for over 8k miles. The nature of web forums is to show problems as more common than they are - most places you don't get people posting a monthly message "everything worked fine this month, nothing to report," but these days the first response a lot of people have to a problem is to go post it online and ask for advice.

The Volt achieved the highest customer satisfaction rating of any car in CR's survey - any car, whatsoever. This isn't the mark of a car with rampant quality problems. What's more, the problems reported on the forum have mostly been one-offs - as in, each problem is unique, with no one else experiencing exactly the same thing. There are three exceptions to that I know of - very early production 2011s had an occasional transmission problem that was the result of a ground bolt not properly tightened at the factory, there was a short run with bad struts last year, and there have been a scattered set of dead 12V batteries that we think are connected to bluetooth not releasing properly, which GM just launched an OTA firmware update for.

Any mass produced product will occasionally have an issue, but overall the Volt has been better than we had any right to expect. If it fits your needs, I would recommend it whole-heartedly.

·
8,680 Posts
There's a large number of salespeople who know next-to-nothing about this car. "For some reason it was not charging" probably meant, "we're too lazy to plug it in." I think the driver's display always says to plug in to charge when the car is powered down.
Almost. If the battery is at anything less than 100% it says that - even if it's at 99%. There is a different message ("fully charged") that shows if it is fully charged.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
We have 2 Volts. The first one is right at a year old and no issues, the second is just over 6 months old and no issues. We use a pair of SPX 240V chargers. The diamond white is the only car my wife has ever loved. I sold a caddy CTSv to buy the red tint coat and love the freedom from gas stations. A good dealer is important to get your total satisfaction.

We charge off our solar system. Last month our homes total energy charges for electric, nat gas and gasoline was only $41. Of that only about $5 was actual energy charges and the rest was fees to the government and utilities.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
All cars (no matter what brand) have some units come off the line with defects. I owned a Honda Civic that had chronic problems. My mother owned a Mercedes that had chronic problems. I know a friend that has the Toyota Prius from hell. All cars have mechanical parts that can fail. Some units come off the line with a weak part somewhere that will fail prematurely. Some cars come off the line with multiple issues. This happens to all cars and all brands of car. It is a game of luck. I guess if you want to avoid problems you could get a horse & buggy... Although I hear horses can get sick too. ;-)

All that being said... The Volt is probably one of the most technologically complex vehicles you can buy. Furthermore it has only been in production for two years. So yes... You might stand a higher chance of getting a Volt with a problem because it is a more complex vehicle. Most Volt owners are fiercely loyal and would never give up the experience of owning a Volt. A few people have been unhappy. In two independent recent polls done by consumer reports and JD Powers... The Volt has the highest customer satisfaction rating of all cars tested. (Over 90% said they would buy a Volt again.)

Personally... I love my Volt. My Volt is my favorite car of all time. (And I have owned over 16 cars in my life so far.) My Volt has never had a single issue that needs repair. I have never had any issue charging whatsoever. My Volt has been 100% reliable and satisfies 100% of my driving needs.

If you get your new Volt and you have issues most Chevrolet dealers solve the issue promptly. Heck your new Volt even comes with a personal Volt adviser from GM who can help get the issues solved. (What other cars come with a personal representative assigned from the factory to be your own personal advisor?)

Most of the negative problem reports on this forum that I have read seem to revolve around the dealer more than the car. In the cases where the Volt issue was not solved promptly the owners also complain about the shoddy treatment by the dealers and how they don't seem to know how t fix a Volt. I would investigate the dealer's reputation thoroughly. Look for a dealer with a lot of positive reviews and positive feedback. Ask to meet the service manager. Ask your service manager how many Volts they have serviced and how much specialized training they have been through on the Volt. If the service manager says: "Golly I have never actually worked on a Volt... That's one of those eeee-lec-trick cars ain't it?" RUN to another dealer.

I can't speak for every Volt owner... But my Volt has been an extremely rewarding experience to own. I save over $150 per month on fuel and it drives like a dream come true. My Chevrolet dealer has been professional and courteous. I would buy another Volt in a heartbeat. I love my Volt. (No I do not work for GM.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
+1 on the problems seeming to have a greater volume on boards. Some are real problems with the car, some are minor problems with the car, some are part of the learning curve on the car, and some cases, it appears as if the biggest problem is the loose nut behind the steering wheel, causing a loud whining noise.

I think the most important thing to look at is how GM / dealers are handling the ownership experience. I think GM is doing very well, the dealer experience may be the greatest variable. You may want to shop for the dealer that best works for you. My little local dealer has been just fine, although I haven't had a major problem yet. I don't really expect to either.

My biggest problem has been forgetting to close the charge door for some reason.

Being from Wisconsin, you may want to review the experiences of your fellow northerners, and see how they apply to you.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I understand your concern. Since 1980, I have bought only Japanese cars, made in Japan. My last car before then was a GM Chevy Vega - a pile of junk and a prime example of corporate dishonesty. (Before the Vega, I had a British car and an Italian car - also disasters.) So, it was with some hesitation that I decided to buy a GM Chevy Volt.

I figured that the Volt would be over-engineered and heavily tested, based on all that I had read. I assumed that GM understood that they really had to get the Volt done right. There may, of course, be problems that were totally unanticipated, but you just cross your fingers and hope.

My 2012 Volt is now 8 months old, with 5000+ miles, and it has been flawless. The only problem was a slow tire leak caused by a screw through the tread. The leak was brought to my attention by the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) before there was an actual flat.

I am greatly enjoying all the technology and the smooth, quiet, responsive, and zen-like driving experience. I am constantly asking my wife if she has any errands for me, so I can drive my Volt!

Yes, some Volt owners have reported significant problems. The technology is complex, and some bad parts will get through, and that is a chance you always take when buying any complex product. Problems are more likely to be reported than blissful experiences, I assume. I do hope that GM and the dealers are responsive in fixing any problems that arise. GM needs to make that happen, and Volt owners with problems need to forcefully let GM know about dealers that are not doing their job.

If my Volt were totaled in a wreck, I would not hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would suggest to make sure you get setup for service at a larger dealer in denser areas that know what they are doing. You have great warranty and my experience with the service has been great and they know what they are doing at my service location.

I have had no issues for the first 10.000 miles, I did the battery tunnel reinforcement which you dont have to worry about, thats all if you dont count rotating the tires.

Overall the car feels solidly built, sure its still a car and things break, my old Audi was also solidly built but cost a fortune to service and still had issues far more than the Volt, we still have not major recalls after more than 2 years thats pretty good. We have some very infrequent issues due to individual cars more than the overall quality of the Volt. Sure we have the battery reinforcement and new charge cord, but those are again issues that are minor in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Fewer problems with the Volt than any other car we've ever had, which have been sedans from German and Japanese luxury brands (not Infiniti). However, a few folks have had what I'd call minor issues and a very few have had what I'd call major issues. In this regard, the Volt has a lot of systems and a lot of sensors and it seems that to be on the safe side the car responds to some fairly slight readings aggressively, so particularly in the first month or so you get almost non-issues appearing as significant issues.

We've seen the same thing on the Leaf BTW. Over time it seems as if some of this is being resolved with software updates.

But I'd recommend the car without qualification. Too much fun!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have almost 8000 miles on my 2011 with no real problems. I think the key is to find a good dealer. My dealer wasn't committed to the Volt (IMO). The sales crew knew little about the car, even though they had to attend training. The finance department knew nothing about the special offers GM had at the time. The service department didn't even have an installed charger (they still haven't installed it).
Check out Volt users' manual on-line and find your favorite feature. Then ask a salesman about it. Example: What if my battery is depleted and the gas engine is out of gas or won't start. Answer: the Volt goes into a reduced power mode and allows you to "limp" for a few miles.
I think this is an important feature and if the salesman doesn't know about it, find a new dealer.

·
8,680 Posts
Example: What if my battery is depleted and the gas engine is out of gas or won't start. Answer: the Volt goes into a reduced power mode and allows you to "limp" for a few miles.
I think this is an important feature and if the salesman doesn't know about it, find a new dealer.
This actually might be my favorite feature - or at least one of the top five (getting into a cool car in the heat of summer thanks to smart phone/web remote A/C is way up there, too.) - what other car can drive for four miles *after* running out of gas? :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have 27k miles on my Volt. All trouble free. Did have the car towed due to a serious flat, blew out the tred and was not repairable. three days after getting the car. Onstar was wonderfull, in this unplaned incident. In all only dealer work done have been the SW and hardware updates. Total cost for maint. is 75 dollars, mostly tire rotations. Just love this car, and have not treated it with kid gloves either. Did a 2870 mile vacation trip in 100+ degree weathe and achieved 47 MPG end to end on that trip. I have high confidence in ths car...

Pat

·
Registered
76 Posts
ten months into my volt with 6k miles and have used 9.2 gallons of gasoline. passenger door handle stopped working. other than that, no problems.

Between my wife and me, we have owned 13 cars. We had six saabs which were great fun but not the most reliable (three tows). one ford, towed once. honda and toyota, never towed. Lexus RX, not towed but unusable for two weeks because of a problem with the V6 (there was a class action suit on that one).

So, I am happy.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Almost 18 months and 23K miles, and I could not possibly be happier. I love my Volt and I love our dealer. The few times that my Volt has been in for service (tire rotation, battery upgrade), everything was as efficient and as professional as can be imagined. I've owned many great cars (mostly performance sport sedans), but the Volt is the best yet. My prior car was awesome, no question, but in its last three years, the service and gasoline costs would have paid for my Volt entirely.

Don't cancel your Volt order. Life is too short!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts