GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Traded in my 11.5 year old Prius (198K, reliable but boring, 48.4 mpg lifetime) on a new blue Volt. Two weeks on and I'm happy. I've got a 50 mile round trip commute and I can charge at work, except that there are now 6 of us and only 2 plugs. The weather in Chicago has been moderate so I could make the round trip most days without gas.

So far the only issue is the electric outlet in the garage didn't have a good ground so I had to jimmy that up. I'm waiting for an electrician buddy to help me run new wires to the garage. Right now the garage is on the same circuit as the microwave and will occasionally pop the breaker, especially if we forget and run the garage door up or down while the microwave is running and the car is charging.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Hope Chevy takes notes of this. Prius owners are the largest made-to-order market waiting to be harvested. You guys already know all about EV's, unlike most ICE owners (my neighbors) who cannot understand or appreciate Volt attributes.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Welcome and I would highly recommend you install a 240V 30-50 amp circuit. The Gen II Volt's EVSE can charge at 240V so your half way to EV nirvana.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome and I would highly recommend you install a 240V 30-50 amp circuit. The Gen II Volt's EVSE can charge at 240V so your half way to EV nirvana.
That's my plan, but I'm not sure out existing service can support another 240V circuit without replacing the line into the house and breaker box. I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hello! Traded in my 11.5 year old Prius (198K, reliable but boring, 48.4 mpg lifetime) on a new blue Volt. Two weeks on and I'm happy. I've got a 50 mile round trip commute and I can charge at work, except that there are now 6 of us and only 2 plugs. The weather in Chicago has been moderate so I could make the round trip most days without gas.

So far the only issue is the electric outlet in the garage didn't have a good ground so I had to jimmy that up. I'm waiting for an electrician buddy to help me run new wires to the garage. Right now the garage is on the same circuit as the microwave and will occasionally pop the breaker, especially if we forget and run the garage door up or down while the microwave is running and the car is charging.
Congrats on your new blue Volt! I also replaced an old Prius (2002) for the 2016 Volt. My lifetime performance with the Prius was only about 44.7 mpg so you did a lot better. I already had a 240 V L2 EVSE so didn't have any issues with charging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts