GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had multiple ppr issues that ended up in having the dealership replace my high voltage battery pack. Well, after a month of waiting for it to get replaced and driving it for 2 days with the new pack I noticed that I'm only using 8kwh. Is that normal on a new pack and will increase over time or is it possible that the dealer lied and simply reduced the usable kwh in order to get rid of the ppr notifications?

·
Registered
535 Posts
How many kWh were you getting before you starting having the ppr issues? That should be the baseline to compare the new pack to. The warranty says a replacement pack will give an equivalent kWh capacity to a normal pack, accounting for the age of the car.

But I doubt if the dealer did any kind of test to measure the kWh capacity of your original battery before replacing it. It might be a good idea to periodically run the pack down to zero see how many kWh it says it used. If this was done at least once a month and the results were recorded (maybe photos of the "kWh used" on the display), you would have a good case to make if the new battery did not provide the same capacity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many kWh were you getting before you starting having the ppr issues? That should be the baseline to compare the new pack to. The warranty says a replacement pack will give an equivalent kWh capacity to a normal pack, accounting for the age of the car.

But I doubt if the dealer did any kind of test to measure the kWh capacity of your original battery before replacing it. It might be a good idea to periodically run the pack down to zero see how many kWh it says it used. If this was done at least once a month and the results were recorded (maybe photos of the "kWh used" on the display), you would have a good case to make if the new battery did not provide the same capacity.
For the last 99k miles I have been getting between 10kwh to 10.6kwh so I have lost 20% of the usable battery. Maybe it has to run a few cycles before measuring voltage correctly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well, good news. I just arrived home and noticed that my 2012 used 11.3kwh! I suppose the kwh meter is just averaging out but I am also hoping of the possibility that I received a 2014/15 Volt battery as Ive never seen over 10.6. Fingers crossed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Was the whole pack replaced or just a section?

Either way, my kWh usage was all over the map when my 2 sections of my '13s pack was replaced. It eventually leveled out, but took a few weeks of mostly daily full charges/discharges. Enjoy the ride, I got some of the highest EV miles ever (like 52!) on the "new" pack as it figured out the top and bottom SOCs. Unfortunately, it didn't last but I still ended up getting a mile or two extra with the new pack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the whole pack replaced or just a section?

Either way, my kWh usage was all over the map when my 2 sections of my '13s pack was replaced. It eventually leveled out, but took a few weeks of mostly daily full charges/discharges. Enjoy the ride, I got some of the highest EV miles ever (like 52!) on the "new" pack as it figured out the top and bottom SOCs. Unfortunately, it didn't last but I still ended up getting a mile or two extra with the new pack.
It was a full pack. Ya I figured the 11kwh prob wouldnt last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts