GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like a former ZAP dealer got tired of waiting for that company to build the Alias. He's put together his own 3 wheeled electric car called the Triac. While it might not have the high performance numbers of the Alias drawing it does seem to have the basic EV requirements.
70 mph and 120 mile range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
EV's

In case you did not know. Phoenix Motors will be selling a SUV and a pickup that goes 95 mph tops speed and gets about 120 miles per charge. Also, ZENN is coming out witha sedan - 80 miles mph top speed, 250 miles per charge. The technology is out there. What's GM excuse for there 40 mile range on the Volt? The EV1 was getting about 95 miles on a charge way back in 2001 or so on older battery technology. Telsa Motors is also coming with nice looking 4 door EV sedan at about 200 miles per charge next year but a bit pricey. I think that will change with the competition. There are lot's of choices out there. The Chevy Volt is not the olny game in town. Pass on the info........

·
Registered
256 Posts
Volt has an unlimited range... the range is not 40 miles. The reason for the range of 40miles on the initial battery charge is because they are being conservative on use of the battery and because to keep the cost down they have to limit the battery size or cost would go through the roof.

GM could have eliminated the gas motor and replace that with a bit more battery capacity but then you would not be able to drive for a couple of hours without recharging. Much better (for a jack of all trades cars) to have unlimited range via range extender and a battery that still meets the needs people place on it the vast majority of the time.

There apparently are already plans to put out a BEV just not quite as quickly as the Volt 1.0!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the moose has potential, but would like more info.
The Moose will be a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) and as such is legally limited to 25mph in most states. i think Wyoming might be 35 but whatever. For most folks it's not really an option.

The Triac on the other hand.....will do 80mph. I know, I know the video says 70. Apparently it's wrong. this company may have news of another (non-NEV) vehicle coming out soon too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It may be butt ugly from the front, but it looks like they ran out of design money before they got to the back and didn't even try there :). Besides, I want 4 wheels. 3 wheelers just look inharently unstable to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It may be butt ugly from the front, but it looks like they ran out of design money before they got to the back and didn't even try there :). Besides, I want 4 wheels. 3 wheelers just look inharently unstable to me.
This is exactly why the EV industry has failed. People do not want ot drive golf carts that are ugly. Plus unsafe. Plus made in China. I hope they do better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts