GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got notice that my 2017 Heather Gray has arrived at the dealer and am making plans to pick up tomorrow (Friday).

In a phone call today with the dealer 'business office' where we reviewed everything and tried to sell me all those extras, I was advised that GM and Scotiabank (Canadians only...sorry my fellow Americans) have joined together to offer an additional $500 discount if you apply for a GM/Scotia Visa card (no fee). I rejected all of the overpriced warranties and paint sealers but took them up on the Visa card.

Have I been 'fargoed'?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Have I been 'fargoed'?
Only if the Visa card is going to cost you money, and pretty much only if that cost is more than $500.

Or, if actually using the GM/Scotia card means that you stop using some other card that has some benefits feature (i.e, you get 1% cash back or air miles, etc.) that means you loose out on $500 or more worth of benefits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I received the $500 GM Visa discount when I picked up my 2017. They said I only had to complete the application and I could actually say I didn't actually want the card later. Or, you can immediately cancel if you want as well.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Just avoid the temptation to charge up a balance and pay interest and you'll be just fine. And read the fine print to see what obligations you have before closing the account. You don't want to have to owe anything for early cancellation.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Interesting -- I'm by no means looking for anohter credit card, I have 4 total all paid off (yay)

My volt arrived via rail and I should be taking delivery next week sometime -- I'm half dreading going through the paperwork portion just because they waste so much damn time trying to upsell bull****. Since I work nights and will be taking delivery probably in the morning I will have already been up for 16 hours so my fuse will be pretty short as it is.

Will probably take a hardline approach of: "print out the paper work, I'll have a look at it, sign it, and be on my way" and they'd better fall in line if they want the sale to complete.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Just avoid the temptation to charge up a balance and pay interest and you'll be just fine.
I pay my balance in full every month and I get 1% cash back so the credit card is a bit of a money making machine for me.

A couple of cars ago I tried to talk the dealer into paying the entire price with my credit card, but they balked. But dealers will usually accept deposits via credit card, so I'm now in the habit of making the biggest deposit on the credit card that they'll accept.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked my 2017 in April. My dealer gave me the $1000 GM Visa discount (if you own a discontinued GM brand). I actually never filled out an application. They may have forgot. However I did receive a voicemail from GM Visa today asking me for feedback about the card.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Will probably take a hardline approach of: "print out the paper work, I'll have a look at it, sign it, and be on my way" and they'd better fall in line if they want the sale to complete.
Suggest letting the finance guy do his job, smile and say "no thank you" to each offer. "Do unto others" you know. Might get you a favor when you need one, example, sitting in waiting room with the common folk while vehicle being serviced, vs. being given the keys to a cool loaner. Last oil change I had a fun time with a turbocharged Camaro, and yes I drove it like I stole it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts